Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google messing with Gmail again

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I use Thunderbird. I hate all online email portals.

Thanks

I use Thunderbird too,but it is migrated somehow into google mail and I don't like the way it works.looks or smells(lol)
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajfmrf View Post
    I use Thunderbird too,but it is migrated somehow into google mail and I don't like the way it works.looks or smells(lol)
    ....?

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion-

I use thunderbird on my computers.

My internet service provided by Thames valley communications has google doing their email now.

On one of my computers when the change was first done it had several folders and stuff I have never seen before.I still even after 10 months don't know
    much about why those folders are there .

All I know is it make things a lot more difficult with my cellphone-A droid razor hd and my emails have that awful gmail look and all

I can't do anything about it unless I want to change from my local internet provider.And they do have a great price compared to the bigwigs......
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks

You can get a different email address. I've never liked ISP emails, for at least the reason that you only keep it as long as you keep the service.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Gmail is just too frustrating for me. I keep disabling all of these new features, but I can't even get close to the bare bones version I want. Today I finally decided to use the basic html version and then set it as my default setting.

For those unaware you can access the basic html version here:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html

After that I clicked on the link at the top of the page to set it as my default view. After reading more about it here and reading about all of the features that are disabled I knew that this was ideal for me. Another silly thing is that there is no option that I can find anywhere on the standard version of gmail that in anyway points to the html only version.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks

Gmail is just too frustrating for me. I keep disabling all of these new features, but I can't even get close to the bare bones version I want. Today I finally decided to use the basic html version and then set it as my default setting.
    I hate the HTML only version because it's slower and doesn't have some of the very basic helpful features like expanding/contracting messages or autofilling emails. I really like basic gmail (though it's fine if you don't). But everything after that is annoying. I'd be very happy with a "basic gmail from 2006" look though. I suppose I can consider using html only at some point (I have used it on occasion-- it takes much less bandwidth than the full version. I realized that when I was on a severely limited internet account in Ecuador, where it took about 10-20mb just to load gmail once!! crazy...).

Another silly thing is that there is no option that I can find anywhere on the standard version of gmail that in anyway points to the html only version.
    Weird! I just checked and you're right. For a long time there was a tiny link at the bottom of the page (near the copyright) but that seems to be missing. Another example of assuming users don't want customization.
    The link still appears when the page loads too slowly (which happens surprisingly often, even in modern browsers and broadband connections. And you can set it as default. But apparently you can't get there from the full version. Odd.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Yeah, I hate it when businesses try to make things "user friendly." User friendly ends up meaning less options. Most people seem to like that though, so I am in the minority on this sadly.

I prefer basic gmail too, but basic gmail has become so bulky with so many features to clutter up the screen and so many of my setting keep getting changed for the worse that the html version (if you know where to find it) is now preferable for me to the other versions.
    Last edited by james438; 06-13-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site