Thread: Disable right Click

Thanks

Default Disable right Click

Disable right click help

Hello Gents,

Is there a script to disable the mouse right click thus preventing someone from copying a picture after it has been enlarged by clicking on a thumbnail?

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks for your time!

Sparks51

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks51 View Post
    Disable right click help

Hello Gents,

Is there a script to disable the mouse right click thus preventing someone from copying a picture after it has been enlarged by clicking on a thumbnail?

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks for your time!

Sparks51
    you should Read This.

Of particular relevance might be John's comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    one can do various things to ensure that what is on the web doesn't comprise the whole of the work. Like with images - go low res &/or watermark.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'd also like to add that its a big no-no from a usability perspective too, since there are many very useful functions attached to the right-click menu that assist with navigation of a website.

Its downright frustrating (and annoying) to have your everyday browsing preferences/habits tampered with - "open in new tab" is one of the most used features that our students use to compare resources side-by-side, and if that function is disabled it causes many of them to A) go back to Google to find a "better" website, and B) contact the IT department to tell us that there's something wrong with the computer!!!! B is particularly annoying and I've lost count of the times I've had to either assure staff and students that everything is ok (and then I advise them to use another website to prove my point) or explain that "yes I may be the website technician but no I can't fix this particular broken behaviour because the problem is external". And I don't like doing the latter because very often all that is taken from such a conversation is that "Bev can't fix it", which makes me look bad too.

Also consider the impression that a "no right-click" script leaves with your visitors, and of the effect that has on your reputation too - you're very likely to be perceived as being less professional and it also implies that you don't trust your users, which would be rather insulting to the 99% of visitors who are just there on your website to use it "properly".

Use of "no right-click" scripts are also considered to be an older practice in web-world so when people encounter them now, they can also leave the impression that the website is out-of-date.

So, best to stay clear of such a disabling, frustrating tactic on many grounds.
    Last edited by Beverleyh; 05-30-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org