Advanced Search

Thread: Header ("Refresh: ") and IE bug

Thanks

Default Header ("Refresh: ") and IE bug

This header/refresh works everywhere except IE. Is there a way to fix this bug?

Code:
    header("Refresh: 12; url=./login.html");

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,129 Times in 3,095 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have posted in the javascript forum. However, the code in your post is not javascript. At least not by itself. It looks more like PHP. In fact, it's the exact syntax used by PHP. As such, if executed server side via PHP, it will work in any browser unless that browser's settings somehow prevent that. I'm not sure there are any such settings though.

If you want more help, please include a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

Edit: In light of developments later in this thread, it's been moved to the PHP forum
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 05-16-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Does it work if you remove the leading ./ from the URL?
    We Only Torture the Folks We Don't Like (You're Probably Gonna Be Okay)
    It's a Party in the CIA

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It works with it. I just tried it in IE and others. Either qwikad isn't using it in PHP, or there's some other angle here.

I'd like to know the specific version and mode of IE used, as well as it's OS. And I'd like to know the specific version of PHP as well as it's server's OS.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

My apologies John for posting in a wrong forum.

I am not joking but that header/refresh wasn't working initially and I don't know if it was because I had it in a wrong place or what. Last night I looked at the script again, cleaned it up a little bit and now it's doing what it's supposed to do. Go figure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, at least we cleared up that it was in fact PHP being done on the server side.

One thing about headers is that they say they have to be sent before anything is written to the page. I've found that not to always be true. But it might be more true in some browsers than in others, or you might have been writing before sending in IE and not in others for some reason.

Without seeing the full non-working PHP code, at least up to where the header is sent, we may never know for sure. Even then we might not as in my experience IE is more prone to cache PHP pages than is any other browser. And/or IE may have been the only browser that even had the page in cache. That might be all it was. After you added the header, IE may still have been using a cached version of the page without the header.
    - John