Thread: found this site to make sprite images

Thanks

Default found this site to make sprite images

http://wearekiss.com/spritepad

Looks promising for a newbie.

Anyone use it before?

I am just 2-3 days into looking at using/making image spites.
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks

Looks cool. It's fun to play with. The problem I have with it is that you don't actually need a visual interface for doing this-- a much better system would be one that automatically aligns your images to maximally fill the most efficient rectangle and gives you all of that as output. As it is, you can accidentally cause images to overlap, or simply do a bad job of picking the best way to put the puzzle together.

There's nothing wrong with using this, but the fun interface is actually a downside in terms of really using this for productivity.

Of course, this is still going to be faster than doing it all manually and figuring out all of the coordinates yourself.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think Bernie had a link to a better utility, one that does all that, and gives you the coords for each image that you put into the sprite.

Ah yes, here it is:

http://spriteme.org/

And it wasn't exactly from Bernie, it was from this page:

http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites/

that he linked to from this thread:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...te-images-used

that you started - So this is not the first time that you've asked about sprites, and probably also gives the lie to your claim that you've only been into it for 2 to 3 days.

That might be true of this time. But you were obviously also into it back then (01-12-2013, 08:19 PM).
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Yes,John,I asked and got some info but never went further then that .

Yesterday I made one ,sorry I made two-one larger one then one much smaller using the option on the tool to make it smaller.

So far ,that is all I have done.And as I stated this is the first time I have actually done anything other then looking for links,tutes/ or any type of resource

Sorry for the confusion
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No biggie, I was just teasing you. I figured it was something like that.

Anyways, I don't do much sprite work, more with existing sprites, or if I have call to make one, it's only two images. But going from what Daniel says are the requirements for a good sprite tool, that one at spriteme.org looks like it's ideal. I'm not sure if it can shrink the finished sprite for you or not. But any good image editing program can mass shrink the component images before you put them into a sprite. And in most cases you would want to custom resize/retouch each image to the size and look you need them in (if they aren't already) before making the sprite. Or you can shrink and/or retouch the sprite yourself after you make it and use Beverley's method (from that same thread of yours I linked to in my previous message) for finding the coords from it afterward.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I'd think you'd always want to use full quality images when designing your sprites layout. Then you'd want to compress that final image as necessary. Otherwise you will be recompressing (or worse, uncompressing) the already compressed images. An exception would be an image format that retains the same level of compression when edited, such as a GIF image with a particular color palette, but even then there's no downside to working with uncompressed images and compressing it at the end-- it would give you the most options for the final look and you could consider all images when determining the palette and/or level of compression.
    In fact, compressing the final image is one disadvantage for sprites. By using a single image, you're forced to use a single kind of compression. Perhaps one image would be a smaller file if saved as a GIF with certain settings, while another requires more colors and would look fine at as a "low" quality JPEG. And another might need to be very high quality, so you'd want to use a minimally compressed, lossless PNG. Of course in most cases sprites will be the same kind of images (photo gallery thumbnails, or icons, etc.).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A well designed sprite contains only images that are all suited to the same file format (usually GIF or PNG, but sometimes JPEG) and that all benefit most from the same type(s) of compression.
    - John

Thanks

A well designed sprite contains only images that are all suited to the same file format (usually GIF or PNG, but sometimes JPEG) and that all benefit most from the same type(s) of compression.
    Agreed. But even then you might have a situation where you'd want different compression settings on the images-- some thumbnails might look fine at a lower JPEG compression quality than others, or some icons might need fewer (or just different) palette colors than others in GIF format.