Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Tale of Two Pages

Thanks

Browser is Mozilla Firefox, v. 3.6.18. System is Windows XP Home Service Pack 3.

A.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 3,201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whoa, that's so out of date. I doubt anyone would be using it in the real world, almost no one. I'm not even sure you can get Firefox that old any longer. It's a case of, if someone wants to run that browser, they have to expect things like that, and much worse on a modern web page. The Fox is up to v20 or higher now. They have been adding major version numbers more rapidly lately for less changes with each update. But great leaps forward in compliant rendering came at v7 back when updates came out only once a year or less.

evolt.org or some other repository of old browsers might have a Firefox that old. If so, I could install it on my vm, but it still might not let me see what you're seeing, it might be a setting or something peculiar to your installation of that version of Firefox. Even if I could see it, the diagnostic tools of that version of Firefox were very limited, so it might be hard to determine the cause. I think service pack 3 is the most recent update to XP, but there are tons of other important updates since then that are not service packs, that might impact this. Is the XP fully up to date? Mine is. Considering all that, and the fact that virtually no one will be using that browser to view the site, and the fact that it doesn't detract from the site's accessibility or functionality in that browser, well I think you can see it's hardly worth the trouble other than as a point of academic interest.

Edit: Hmm, it appears that Firefox 3 is still supported as a separate browser from the mainstream current versions and is up to 3.6.28 or higher.

So I think I will give it a shot to see what I can see.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 05-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK, I did that, and there's no difference in font size between the two pages:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    Firefox 3.6.18

BTW - when I installed it, it told me that it was out of date. Presumably it wants me to update to 3.6.28, but I wasn't sure, it might have been to 20.0.1 (latest mainstream version). Anyways, I stuck with 3.6.18 just to see if I could see what you were reporting. And as I say, there was no difference here between the two pages. The layout is a little different, but opening one in one tab and the other in another tab and aligning similar texts between the two by scrolling each, then flipping back and forth, it's obvious that there's no difference in font size. The privacy page does have some headings in its main content area that are a little larger than the other content text, and the index page doesn't. But these are larger in any browser. Everything else was of identical font size between the two pages.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Aha! I've now discovered that if while on the privacy policy page you increase the zoom level of the page (view > zoom) from the main menu or (Ctrl +) from the keyboard, it remembers that and applies it each time the privacy page is loaded. At the same time, the zoom level of the other pages are not affected.

So try this - view each page in turn. While on each page, hit (Ctrl 0), this will set them each to normal viewing - no zoom. Then switch back and forth between them. They should both appear to have the same font size now.
    - John

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

marain (05-11-2013)

Thanks

You nailed it!

I am impressed!

A.