Advanced Search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Tale of Two Pages

Thanks

Question A Tale of Two Pages

Style on http://www.marijuana.com is controlled by a css page. The css page controls (among other things) font size. One of the pages on the site is the privacy page. You can't get to privacy from the main menu, but the footer on each page has a link to it.

On the computer I'm using right now, and every other computer except one to the best of my knowledge, the font sizes on all the pages are exactly as specified in the css page. On one computer that I am aware of, the font size on all the pages except the privacy page are also as specified. On that one computer, the font size of the privacy page, and ONLY the privacy page, is a size or two larger.

That other computer has a Toshiba monitor, and uses Windows XP. I have no idea whether those facts are relevant, but I suppose we have to begin somewhere.

One last item: Folks here may ask me more questions about that other computer, or to try this or that, and I'll be happy to, but I have access to that other computer only on weekends.

A.
    Last edited by djr33; 05-06-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: remove hyperlink; cut-and-paste if you wish to view the page

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

If there is a link in the footer to the privacy page, it's private. I mean it doesn't use the word privacy. What do we have to click on to view that page?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

The link is five lines above the icons:

"Click here to see our Privacy Policy."

A.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think you linked us to a different site than the one you are talking about. Check the URL. Another moderator changed it from a hot link to a text link, but I checked the original and it's the same - goes to the same site as the text link.

Is this the correct URL:

http://www.marijuana.com

?

If it is, as I told you before, the word 'privacy' appears nowhere on the page, I even checked its source code, nowhere in there either.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Very sorry. Correct link is http://www.njmarijuana.com.

A.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry, still not there. Here's the text above the icons:

Criminal Lawyers in New Jersey and MarainLaw.com
    © Copyright 2006-2013, Allan Marain, New Brunswick, NJ, All rights reserved.
    For information, questions, or suggestions about our site, please email our webmaster.
    Web site design by DNEBA Enterprises » Accessible and Effective Web Design.
    Search engine optimization by Rank Magic.
    Page last updated 4 May 2013.
    Hosted by Westhost »When you expect more from your Web host.
    Nothing there about a Privacy Policy. And searching the entire page both visible and source text yields 0 matches for the word privacy.
    - John

Thanks

John, ever have one of those days when you think you're losing it? I saw it yesterday. I saw it this morning.

Let me get back to you, hopefully tomorrow. In the meanwhile, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

A.

Thanks

John, in editing the footer for NJMarijuana.com, I uploaded a file from the wrong folder. That is now corrected.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm having trouble duplicating this. I have a virtual machine running XP and IE 8. No difference. There does seem to be some slight difference if I run it in IE 10 under Win 7 and use IE 10's IE 8 mode. However, it's not a full font size as far as I can tell.

BTW, on the 'bad' computer, which browser are you using, and which version of that browser?

In any case, in tracing the styles we see that font-size on the body is set to medium, and on the footer x-small. These are a relativistic settings. You could try something fixed, like 16px and 8px respectively. These may need to be tweaked to get what you're after, use a browser where there is no problem to determine the optimal pixel settings for these font sizes.

A problem with relativistic font sizes in some browsers is that they sometimes multiply. A subtle difference in layout can change how they're interpreted. Fixed sizes are never subject to that sort of interpretation.

Before you do anything though, make sure the cache on the 'bad' browser is cleared and that you refresh the pages involved. It might simply be showing you an older version of one or more of the pages.

And when you make any changes, if you choose to, clear the cache and refresh the page to make sure you are seeing the results of those changes.

Be sure to keep backups of any files you change before changing them.
    - John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    I'm having trouble duplicating this. I have a virtual machine running XP and IE 8. No difference. There does seem to be some slight difference if I run it in IE 10 under Win 7 and use IE 10's IE 8 mode. However, it's not a full font size as far as I can tell.
    Seeing as it occurs on only one computer, and on only one page of THAT computer, I find less than surprising your difficulty in duplicating it.

BTW, on the 'bad' computer, which browser are you using, and which version of that browser?
    My answer to that question will have to await the weekend.

In any case, in tracing the styles we see that font-size on the body is set to medium, and on the footer x-small. These are a relativistic settings. You could try something fixed, like 16px and 8px respectively. These may need to be tweaked to get what you're after, use a browser where there is no problem to determine the optimal pixel settings for these font sizes.

A problem with relativistic font sizes in some browsers is that they sometimes multiply. A subtle difference in layout can change how they're interpreted. Fixed sizes are never subject to that sort of interpretation.
    I lean against making that change: We're talking about a minor annoyance that occurs only on one page (that we know of) on just one of three computers that I use, infrequently at that, that has antiquated software, and the page on which it occurs is one that few people ever visit. Were this a page that I was developing for a paying customer, I would definitely want to make whatever corrections needed fix it. But this is my own site. My posing the question, therefore, was hobby-ish, rather than business-ish. I am, more than anything, intrigued over why one page behaves differently than any other, and on only the one computer.

Before you do anything though, make sure the cache on the 'bad' browser is cleared and that you refresh the pages involved. It might simply be showing you an older version of one or more of the pages. And when you make any changes, if you choose to, clear the cache and refresh the page to make sure you are seeing the results of those changes.
    Already tried that.

Be sure to keep backups of any files you change before changing them.
    Always! That's how I was able to correct my previous upload mix up.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 05-08-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Fix use of [QUOTE]