Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feelings of intense rage toward one's computer

Thanks

Default Feelings of intense rage toward one's computer

I thought I'd share something that just happened to me and see what various similar annoyances everyone else has experienced.

Just a minute ago I was trying to open up a new tab in my browser (Firefox) to view the threads here in a new window (I tend to open up each new thread in a new window, rather than cycling back to the index each time I finish one).

And my context menu (right click menu) was replaced with Apple's 'helpful' "add to dictionary" context menu. Clearly the browser was under the impression that I had highlighted some text somewhere (in an input field??) and wanted to add the word to my dictionary. But I hadn't. I was just browsing the forum index. And it didn't make any difference where I clicked. Rage followed.

Then I restarted my browser and all was back to normal.

It's sort of amazing how easy it is to become furious with one's computer though. But to be fair, they often don't do what they're supposed to do!!
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Garbage in, garbage out is often the case. But sometimes they're just under stress, after all, they're only inhuman.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

letom (05-12-2013)

Thanks

they're only inhuman.
    Haha
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I too find myself in the same situation at times - lol

Usually it is a simple thing and usally easily fixed(closing the browser/restarting the computer or such)

I really get annoyed if what happened causes me to loose work I had done though grrrrrr

Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As a behaviourally, socially and culturally diverse species, humans have developed art and complex languages. As a species humans cannot survive without tools. They are the only known species to build fires, cook food, clothe themselves and curse against computers.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by molendijk View Post
    [Humans] are the only known species to build fires, cook food, clothe themselves and curse against computers.
    Nor has to.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Nor has to.
    Or: nor have to? I don't understand. What's the subject of the verb have? English can be confusing for people whose native language is not English.

Thanks

...curse against computers.
    Yes! That's what separates us from the beasts! Hahahaha...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

letom (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by molendijk View Post
    Or: nor have to? I don't understand. What's the subject of the verb have? English can be confusing for people whose native language is not English.
    Daniel would be a better authority on this. But I believe either is correct. And I think I like the sound of 'have' better there than that of 'has'. If on the other hand it's the meaning of what I typed that's in question, I should think that rather clear. Humans are the only ones who have to do those things.

Now getting back to has or have. Humans have to. But species has to. So take your pick.
    - John

Thanks

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you were referring to either. I think you mean "they don't have to do that either", but I'm not sure what the "that" is. You mean humans don't need to use tools (and so forth)?