Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specific program language

Thanks

Default Specific program language

Hi,

i'm kind of a new to the webdesign stuff but i do know html/css.

I was wondering if there is any language that can make the editing/adding from content way easier.
    This for the reason that people that don't know programming language can add content.

Like some sort of admintool where you just have to fill in some boxes and the content is transferred to a webpage on your website.

So for example: I make a website for someone. If he wants to add content without contacting me every time, he just logs in to the admintool and adds content without knowing anything about html/...
    I don't know if this is possible but i would be happy if you can help me out.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There are lots of names (web page editor, content editor, online website editor) but the global term is generally a CMS, or Content Management System.

They come is various guises, ranging in complexity, but for a very simple web content editor, feel free use my Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) tool: http://fast-edit.co.uk/demo_besm/

There are other versions available for download too, and they're all FREE - it just depends what features you want: http://fast-edit.co.uk/version_comparison.php

Hope that helps
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

Thanks!

If i'm correct I can't create a new page with the Fast Edit BE?
    Everything you add/change has to be on existing pages?

With Fast Edit v1.0 I can create new pages?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yep - Fast Edit BE and Fast Edit Mini just work with existing pages whereas Fast Edit v1.0 can add and delete pages, and do other stuff.
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |

Thanks

@CrazyMonkeyz

As Leyh Suggested CMS(content management system) is best suit for you. some have WYSWING Editor, means What You See Is What You Get.
    So for example: I make a website for someone. If he wants to add content without contacting me every time, he just logs in to the admintool and adds content without knowing anything about html/...
    For your above requirement you need a GUI Based editor. I think you are a beginner in HTML and didn't know anything about PHP ? but i would like to recommend you to study and go with Wordpress, It is a content management system used world wide, easy to learn and adopt..

Thanks
    Blog Entries

"Leyh" is a new one on me - my name is Beverley - but Wordpress might be a bit overkill for smaller/first-time web projects. Database provisions could also be an issue if a lower priced/free hosting service is being used - some don't allow a database, so the size or purpose of the site might not justify the cost of an account upgrade to support Wordpress or other database driven systems. Without the specifics its hard to say what will be the best option.

Wordpress, Joomla! and Drupal are all popular and well-supported choices for larger content managed sites though, and becoming familiar with PHP will certainly give an advantage.

Thanks

Ok thanks!
    I will take a look at it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beverleyh View Post
    "Leyh" is a new one on me - my name is Beverley - but Wordpress might be a bit overkill for smaller/first-time web projects. Database provisions could also be an issue if a lower priced/free hosting service is being used - some don't allow a database, so the size or purpose of the site might not justify the cost of an account upgrade to support Wordpress or other database driven systems. Without the specifics its hard to say what will be the best option.

Wordpress, Joomla! and Drupal are all popular and well-supported choices for larger content managed sites though, and becoming familiar with PHP will certainly give an advantage.
    Hm , noted, there is a 'H'in the name,
    CrazyMonkeyz is new to web design , he already stated that in his previous comment, then advising him to study drupal and joomla is not at all a good idea i mean , first he need to study word press then he need to look at more secure cms drupal.

Who is using free web hosting for hosting their wordpress site . they must design HTML page if they want to host their site in free web hosting. People who are working under word press have at least a Virtual Private Server or shared hosting.

Another issue is hosting a wordpress site in free web hosting is not at all secure. I don't know these free web hosting providers will give DB access, may be some others ..

Without the specifics its hard to say what will be the best option.

Exactly ...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There seems to be some confusion in your answer letom.

Firstly, I am aware that CrazyMonkeyz is new to web design as he says so in his first post, and it is why, in my first reply, I pointed him towards using a very simple web content editor.

Secondly, I did not advise him to study Joomla or Drupal - I made a distinction between small site CMS and large site CMS, following on from your own suggestion to use Wordpress.

Thirdly, I stated that free or low cost web hosting most likely does not provide a database, so somebody using that type of hosting for a small or first-time site could not use a database driven CMS without an upgrade, hence my original suggestion of using Fast Edit as it doesn't require a database.

As far as my name goes, the 'h' on the end is from my surname. My christian name is Beverley, but if there is any doubt, I always think its safer to address somebody by their full username so as not to cause confusion.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Thanks

Firstly, I am aware that CrazyMonkeyz is new to web design as he says so in his first post, and it is why, in my first reply, I pointed him towards using a very simple web content editor.
    First i do appreciate your advices in the forum..
    Most of the people registered here are web developers/programmers., is it ?
    advising a web designer or web developer to use a simple web content editor is not a good idea..even if he is a beginner. his job is not only use the
    very simple web content editor
    but to develop that type of stuffs also.

Secondly, I did not advise him to study Joomla or Drupal - I made a distinction between small site CMS and large site CMS, following on from your own suggestion to use Wordpress.
    If we say the name of 3 content management system to a new programmer, he/she will be confused which one to choose,

Thirdly, I stated that free or low cost web hosting most likely does not provide a database, so somebody using that type of hosting for a small or first-time site could not use a database driven CMS without an upgrade, hence my original suggestion of using Fast Edit as it doesn't require a database.
    Ok seems to be fine.

As far as my name goes, the 'h' on the end is from my surname. My christian name is Beverley, but if there is any doubt, I always think its safer to address somebody by their full username so as not to cause confusion.
    Ok.. seems to be fine, but we can focus on the main subject if anything more...