Thread: Text Input will not take text

Thanks

Default Text Input will not take text

Hi

I am not sure why the top left add to email list input stopped taking text all of a sudden. Nothing changed that I can tell. Anyone know a fix for inputs not taking text.

The example is found here top left corner: derutaimports.com/

The weird part is that it works in IE but not Opera, Chrome, or Firefox.... Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 04-05-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Format

Thanks

Looking at the Internet a bit this seems to most commonly be related to a Javascript clash. I am using lightbox on this page, also I think the previous developer has some javascript in it as well. Hoping this is an error someone has seen before.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,239 Times in 3,200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here I believe it's CSS. It's not a problem in IE. But in Chrome and Opera (probably Firefox as well) you cannot type text in it, as it's not on top of the stack of elements in that region of the page. It falls behind/under the <div class="emailbut"> element. To fix that, add the red to its inline style:

Code:
    <input type="text" name="ea" size="20" value="" style="position:relative;font-family:Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:10px; border:1px solid #999999; margin-left:-75px !important; margin-top:1px;">
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

itivae (04-05-2013)

Thanks

Thanks a lot jscheuer1 you hit the nail on the head. Is there any reason that this would have started all of a sudden? It worked great for nearly a year. Then all of a sudden it stopped....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,239 Times in 3,200 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are a couple of reasons I can think of, there could be others:

1) The positioning of the <div class="emailbut"> element was recently made absolute, perhaps before it was not. Other elements without position set cannot be "seen through" by the mouse on this type of element in most browsers.

2) You had only previously checked in IE, which can "see through" the <div class="emailbut"> element with the mouse even when it is position absolute as long as it has no background.

Or a combination. 1) was done at some point and then not checked in non-IE until recently.

Like I say though, it could be something else that happened. Those are the likeliest scenarios I can imagine.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate