Thread: customizing dynamic drive facescroll

Thanks

Default customizing dynamic drive facescroll

hi to all,

I'v been around for several years but never needed to join forum until now :-) I am an amateur webdeveloper. I was searching for facebook like scrollbar and got it right at dynamicdrive facescroll. am implementing both onMouseover and always on feature on my pages. here is what i wanted to achieve:

one of the scroll field is using always on method which has to scroll down and show the bottom content on load. so i tried using $("#abc").animate(scrollTop ....) method which works perfectly but the problem is the vertical scrollbar remains hidden in its initial position i.e. on top and not visible. so in order to scroll the contents on top i have to rotate the m-wheel till the length. am not get it right.

so how can i bring the scroll bar at the bottom and along with the bottom content on page load.

i appreciate any help :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 3,189 Posts
    Blog Entries

See my blog entry on Facescroll:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/e...Scroll-my-take

BTW, if you've been around here for a while you should know the posting rules:

Warning: Please include a link to the DD script(s) in question in your post. See this post for more information.

Please follow them in the future.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

dev7 (04-23-2013)

Thanks

You came as my savior. Thank you so very much :-)
    Sorry for any misdeeds becoz today is my first time in this forum and first post too.

Thanks

hi jscheuer1,

I am using $('#selector').altScrollTo('end'); to achieve my goal and worked as intended. Thank you.

One more favor i would like to ask. When i drag the vert/horz scrollbar up/down or rt/lt. and keep the pointer right on its course then the scrollbar remains visible but if i shift the pointer away from the course and still maintain the drag then the scrolling works but the scrollbar disappears. Is it possible that the scrollbar be visible on drag event too?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As currently written, that behavior varies by browser or perhaps jQuery and/or jQueryUI version, so I think it may be hard to track down. If you use the:

Code:
    'hide-bars': false
    property in your init, it looks like you will get what you want, but of course, the scrollbars will always be visible. Example:

Code:
    jQuery(function($){
    	$('#selector').alternateScroll({'hide-bars': false}).altScrollTo('end');
    });
    That will initialize the Facescroll to that selector with the scrollbars always seen and then scroll it to the end.

I will look into what you're asking, that it do that even with the scrollbar hidden. I think a better way might be to have the scrollbar remain visible until drag ends. This is also tied in with behavior on touch devices though, so it might be tricky. I have no way to test on touch devices, so I've been leaving a lot of the code alone, as to not disturb that part of it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK, I've updated my demo page (http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/s...oll/demo-2.htm) to include:

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    have the scrollbar remain visible until drag ends.
    You can test it on my demo page with the first and second scrollers, which hide the scrollbars. The other one has it always visible.

Refresh the page first though, to make sure it's not using the old copy of the script.

To make sure you're not downloading a cached version of the updated script, clear the browser cache and refresh the page. Then download the facescroll.js file again from it.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 04-25-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: changed demo to include two default (fading out) scrollbar examples
    - John