Thread: Simple Database display

Thanks

Default Simple Database display

hello

Think this a relevant post for here

I want to make a page that displays a list, ideally from a database. It will be updated on a daily basis and I figure that a database will mean that others ( who i give access too ) can update it as well with out ftp uploads etc ..... I was looking to do that for free, but I didn't find much out there, https://sodadb.com/ was one but there isn't any way to configure the way that data is displayed on the screen, so looks a little ugly.

I can upgrade the hosting package to include mysql but that's a dark art to me really, and of course isn't part of my budget plans

So i'm i going to have to bite the bullet and pay out some cash, and if so which path ?

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

depends. Do you want to learn how to do it yourself, or do you just "want it done"? Do you have much experience with programming?

Thanks

I've done a little in the past but that's a little ! I think i'd prefer a plug and play, either way it's going to cost a bit of cash by the looks of it .......

If i create a database here, http://www.freesqldatabase.com/, i'd then be able to make a page that could display it's contents, right ?
    Last edited by ripthorn; 04-09-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I suppose so. Never tried it. Should, but I don't know how convenient/reliable it would be.

If your host supports PHP and the SQLite3 extension, that might be a better option than relying on an external service. For a simple "list", it should work just fine.

If it's really important, you should probably upgrade your hosting plan and get MySQL. SQLite is cool and very useful in some situations, but MySQL is more "mainstream".

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What kind of list are you wanting to create/manage?

If its relatively small, with maybe a few dozen rows/records, maybe an editable HTML table would suffice?

If you think that would work, try out my simple web snippet editor here http://fast-edit.co.uk/demo_besm/

The idea would be that you create an HTML table on a web page, and then make it into a 'snippet' that can be edited via Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager). It can be updated online via a WYSIWYG editor/toolbar (no FTP uploads to contend with) and it doesn't need a database (the data is stored in a text file). You, or whoever, could update it whenever you need and you'd style the HTML however you like with CSS so it looks nice on the public-facing web page.

Its just an idea, but it might work (if the list isn't too big). If you're managing lots of data though, a database would be better.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org