Advanced Search

Thread: Smooth Navigational Menu Question

Thanks

Question Smooth Navigational Menu Question

1) Script Title: Smooth Navigational Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem:

Hi! The navigation on the website I'm building has between 4-6 levels, and it's vertical with lower levels coming out on the side to the right.

I would like to be able to click on a lower level link, and when the new page comes up, I'd like the navigation to show (i.e., display visibly) up to that level. For example, if my level 1 shows types of animals including cats, and my level 2 for cats shows types of cats including panthers, and my level 3 shows brown, black, and white cats, then if someone clicks on "black" under "panther", the navigation would show all the animals, all cat types, and black next to "panther".

The "toggle" option allows you to see that exact thing, BUT "toggle" doesn't link to a page; it stays on the original page. So what I'd want would be for a mouse click in toggle mode to do exactly what it does but open a new page and show the same navigational drop-down structure already opened. Does that make sense? You can see the basic layout of my website here: http://waianae.pair.com/dressler/mcmenamin/projects.php

I've been looking through the ddsmoothmenu.js script, but I'm not good at javascript and haven't had any luck, and I don't think it can be done with just the CSS.

Any ideas are very much appreciated - thanks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by judique View Post

I would like to be able to click on a lower level link, and when the new page comes up, I'd like the navigation to show (i.e., display visibly) up to that level. For example, if my level 1 shows types of animals including cats, and my level 2 for cats shows types of cats including panthers, and my level 3 shows brown, black, and white cats, then if someone clicks on "black" under "panther", the navigation would show all the animals, all cat types, and black next to "panther".

The "toggle" option allows you to see that exact thing, BUT "toggle" doesn't link to a page; it stays on the original page. So what I'd want would be for a mouse click in toggle mode to do exactly what it does but open a new page and show the same navigational drop-down structure already opened. Does that make sense? You can see the basic layout of my website here: http://waianae.pair.com/dressler/mcmenamin/projects.php
    !
    Its kind of sounds like you are wanting two different things here, but none the less you will have to fiddle around with the javascript

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrickenTrevor View Post
    Its kind of sounds like you are wanting two different things here, but none the less you will have to fiddle around with the javascript
    Thanks -- I figured out that by adding a function on page load, to simulate a mouseover, I can do what I wanted.