Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bible and homosexuality

Thanks
    Thanked 3,239 Times in 3,200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh, and Sodom and Gomorrah, were more like Fire island and a swinger's party, not like a committed gay couple with children raising a family.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Oh, and Sodom and Gomorrah, were more like Fire island and a swinger's party, not like a committed gay couple with children raising a family.
    I doesn't mean like that,
    But that is a great sin against God and earth...
    Great meaning behind marriage as bible says
    A man shall leave his father and mother and united to his wife and they two shall be one flesh. God joined them together, let not man put asunder..

Thanks

That's your belief, and of course you're free to believe it. But where's the evidence? You cannot say: the Bible is true because it says so in the Bible.
    if you believe in Jesus Christ , he will show you who he is.. Because as bible says, "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.(Psalm 34:8) ". Without seeing a country , how can u say, that country is good OR bad,

Believe in Jesus Christ then you will be one of the great evidence. Say to sick, Be healed in the name of Jesus Christ, Then you will get the evidence
    Look at the great Miracles Happening around the world in the name of Jesus Christ by the power of Holy Ghost.
    All things are happening according to bible as Jesus Said.. He is at the door step for his second arrival.
    Last edited by letom; 04-06-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by letom View Post
    He is at the door step for his second arrival.
    To borrow a phrase from baseball, Christ has been top stepping for a long time. All through history there have been those that have said his second coming is nigh. They've all been wrong, so far. At the same time, if you're a true believer, you should live each moment as if Christ were returning in the very next one. So, what's on your bucket list?
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 04-07-2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

He is at the door step for his second arrival.
    It surprises me that some take the bible so literally that they are forced to accept things that they'd rather not accept. If we take Genesis literally, then we must accept that there would have also been sin (incest) even if Eve hadn't listened to the serpent, see one of my previous posts.
    If we want to interpret every biblical passage literally (except the ones James calls the poetic ones), then why don't we act like the man I once was told about by my father when I was very young. He was taken care of in an institution where my father looked after him. He (= the man who was taken care of) believed that we must interpret Revelation 16:15 literally. It says there: "Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame". The poor guy concluded from this that it was not a good thing to go to sleep every now and then. He tried to always stay awake. This destroyed him, physically and mentally. He went completely mad.
    Isn't that a sad story? Now why wouldn't you behave like this man (you don't, I presume) if, at the same time, you accept the Bible as a document that must be taken literally?
    Last edited by molendijk; 04-06-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks

The bible being written in archeaic Greek can't be taken literally. I speak, read, write Greek and there are MANY things said that cannot be translated to English directly. There are ways of me saying something in Greek that can be understood in English of course, but only if you know and understand both languages.

Do not take that as me being anti bible, anti Christian. I am Christian, Greek Orthodox

Thanks

The bible being written in archeaic Greek can't be taken literally. I speak, read, write Greek and there are MANY things said that cannot be translated to English directly. There are ways of me saying something in Greek that can be understood in English of course, but only if you know and understand both languages.
    Absolutely! (And some of the Greek is in translation as well.)

Do not take that as me being anti bible, anti Christian. I am Christian, Greek Orthodox
    But there are many Christians who do this-- you're certainly in the minority (at least outside of Greece).

Personally, I'm not religious. But I can see an argument for taking the Bible as an example of reasonable advice to be taken as general metaphorical insight. For example, we shouldn't kill each other. Beyond that, or especially at the other extreme of literal readings, I find it problematic.

More than anything, my objection is not to what anyone believes but when they expect others to believe the same thing. I don't really see myself as a supporter of homosexuality; I couldn't really care less, being heterosexual myself. But then when I see others who are homosexual and obviously care about their happiness and things like being able to get married, I can't help but feel there is some injustice going on when others say they can't. And I'd see the same problem with someone telling you that you can't believe in God or take the Bible literally. It's fine if you don't agree with them or if they don't agree with you, but I see something very problematic about attempting to control what others do. It's even fine (free speech) to tell them they're wrong (and they might do the same to you), but not to act on that such as creating laws about who can get married. Given the amount of variation in the world, I can't see any other reasonable way to approach it. And in the end I couldn't care less what most other people do. Some might not end up being my best friends, but that's fine, and we're probably both happier for it.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    To borrow a phrase from baseball, Christ has been top stepping for a long time. All through history there have been those that have said his second coming is nigh. They've all been wrong, so far. At the same time, if you're a true believer, you should live each moment as if Christ were returning in the very next one. So, what's on your bucket list?
    No one knows when he(Jesus Christ) will arrive, the exact time is not even known by anybody but only God,
    But we have hope, but it will happen, it is a great truth.
    1000 years are equivalent to 1 day for God, He will come..

Following are signs stated in bible

Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains. (Mark 13:8)

Jesus Loves you, Loves all, once we ALL will bow our knees in front of him, and say you are My Lord and Savior,( No meaning if we say that at Judgement Day). This is the time to say that, these are the days for repentance....

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There are always wars (nation against nation), famines and earthquakes.

1000 years are equivalent to 1 day for God, He will come.
    Reminds me of a funny story. God is saying that a million years are but a second to him, and that a million dollars but a penny.

A man asks if he can have a penny. God replies, "Sure, just a second."
    - John

Thanks

Hahaha, that's a good one.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum