Thread: Slideshow transition causes another animated image on page to pause briefly in IE8

Thanks

Default Slideshow transition causes another animated image on page to pause briefly in IE8

Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.4)

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

Is there a reason the slideshow transition causes the other animated image (moon river) on the page to pause briefly in IE8?

Site: http://www.greenfieldsmusician.com/test/test.htm

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

One or more things are being overloaded. Likely candidates are:

• The browser
    • The CPU
    • The OS
    • The video card

It's not a simple answer because, if on the same computer a different browser doesn't have the problem, it could still be a combination of things. On a different computer IE 8 might be OK, and another browser might have a problem.

It's fine here in IE 10 in IE 8 mode under Win 7 on a relatively overburdened laptop though. You should try to avoid combining javascript animation with animated .gif and/or (where supported) Flash animation. Generally newer software and computers can handle it. Also consider the more animation on a page, the more distracting/potentially disturbing it is to the viewer, not to mention the strain on the software and hardware.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks John.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, I have a virtual machine running Win XP and IE 8 and I can see the problem on it. And if I disable the fade transition on the slideshow, the problem goes away. But a virtual machine is usually, and this one is no exception, low on CPU, memory, and other resources. So, though it is an indication that IE 8 simply cannot "walk and chew gum at the same time", it's not conclusive.

On that same machine I also have a standalone version of IE 6. In it the problem is worse. The slideshow doesn't slide automatically and the animation of the .gifs is choppy all the time. Further indication that the older IE browsers just aren't up to this challenge, though again, not conclusive.

I could show you how to disable the fade transition for IE 8 and less if you're interested.

Oh, and I just tested the demo page:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

and it works fine on both IE 8 and 6 on the virtual machine, even with all four of the demo shows going at once. So it probably is an interaction with the animated .gif images that's causing the problem.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 03-30-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: add bit about the demo page
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate