Advanced Search

Thread: Why are Americans more religious than Canadians and Europeans?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Why are Americans more religious than Canadians and Europeans?

According to a survey by Angus Reid Public Opinion (angus-reid.com), 61 per cent of Canadians and 69 per cent of Britons think human beings evolved from simpler life forms. In The Netherlands, Germany and New-Zealand, these numbers are even higher (see skepsis.nl). As for the US, just 30 per cent of Americans agree.
    Meanwhile, almost fifty per cent of Americans think God created people in the past 10,000 years, a belief commonly known as "creationism" that is shared by only 22 per cent of Canadians, 17 per cent of Britons and about 7 per cent of the Dutch.
    Where do these differences come from?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's nothing. Somewhere around 50% of Americans believe in demonic possession (I'll post the link the the survey when I find it).

Edit: it's 57%.
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...%2BResults.pdf

Also of interest, 52% of Americans believe a house can be haunted, while only 37% believe in ghosts.
    Last edited by traq; 03-26-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: found the survey
    We Only Torture the Folks We Don't Like (You're Probably Gonna Be Okay)
    It's a Party in the CIA

Thanks

Somehow I doubt some of those numbers. I'm not saying it isn't high, but I think it's probably not a clear binary distinction. (I'm not saying that holding both/partial beliefs isn't contradictory, though.) There are some (a minority) of people who believe evolution is wrong/evil/whatever. But I'd think that most Americans do believe in evolution to some degree. There may also be social pressures of which answer seems appropriate, depending on the context of the survey.

This might have something to do with education. Educated Americans tend to be much more liberal, and the same applies to those living in larger cities.

But who knows... the masses never cease to surprise me in survey results. A few years ago I read something about most Americans failing to identify 4 geographic locations on a map: California, Texas, Canada and Iraq. And to be clear, that doesn't mean they just didn't know where Iraq was-- they missed one of the others too. And that was a majority of Americans polled. [I'm not positive the third was Canada, but it was something equally obvious. I should look that up.*]

(But... it depends on where they're polling as well! That might explain a lot of this.)

*Edit: I can't find the original source for those exact figures, but here's some relevant information:
    http://hateusa.narod.ru/art6.html
    Slightly less extreme but equally astounding at times.
    More data here: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ro...gLitsurvey.pdf
    Last edited by djr33; 03-26-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    That's nothing. Somewhere around 50% of Americans believe in demonic possession (I'll post the link the the survey when I find it).
    Wow! Now it would be interesting to know if those people are those who believe that God created humans and everything else in the past 10,000 years or so.
    Last edited by molendijk; 03-26-2013 at 12:56 AM.