Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: chrome dropdown menu dropdown indicator

Thanks

Moderation sure takes a long time! How come some posts go straight through and apprar right away?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It depends what's included in the post - links can sometimes cause problems so I know the mods have suggested to new members that they should just past the page URL, minus the http:// part (so it stays un-hyperlinked)

You still reference another CSS file that we haven't seen yet - there's one for the menu and another called "new_ovaltambour.css". We'll need both

Also, your page code references php includes that we can't see the markup for. It isn't the php includes that we need, rather the markup they generate, so it would be better to first view the web page in your browser and then view the source code, and copy and paste *that* here for us - that's going to give us a more complete picture than hinting at php content we can't access.

At the end if the day, a live web page link really is the best thing to give to us. Can you upload what you have so far to a test area? When you paste code in different blocks in a forum, you're asking us to make extra effort to build something up on you behalf, which isn't always possible. For example, I'm on iphone now for the whole weekend so I won't be able to do any copy and paste testing stuff until I'm back on PC next week sometime. There's also the other angle where people will be less likely to drop by to offer help on the offchance, because you haven't made it particularly easy for them.

Also, you still need to provide a link to the script demo page here on DD. Again, this is going back to the expectation that the person who wants help, makes it easy for others to give help.
    Last edited by Beverleyh; 03-01-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

Basically, I am only asking if someone has seen the behavior I am experiencing, and if so, what did they do to correct it. I am not asking for someone to try to "discover" the cause of my problem. I am no where near ready to move my dev code up to the host. I have five years of code to clean up and hundreds of images to sort through to make things current.

Isn't this the link you say I am missing?

/***********************************************
    * Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
    * This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
    * Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code
    ***********************************************/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The URL to the demo page on DD - that's the copyright fragment with a link to DD home page but sadly not the link to the source/origin page on DD with the actual menu script you're using.

We can't really say if we've seen this behaviour before because we have no point of reference. If the demo script on DD has images on the left, but yours are on the right, then your menu CSS differs in some way - either that or the additional CSS file contains something that's affecting things. We can't confirm that though because we haven't seen it.

Without seeing that other CSS file, the only suggestion I can make is that something (maybe all images) is floated left.

Another reason might be that there are configuration settings detailed on the DD script demo page that have put the arrows on the left of the buttons, but again, that's just a guess as I haven't seen the setup instructions on that page.

Believe me, I'm not doing this to be awkward - I just can't give you the answers you want/need because you have so far been unable to provide all the information I need. I've made a few sensible suggestions but I can't give you anything more concrete without all the information upfront.
    Last edited by Beverleyh; 03-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A third suggestion - copy the demo menu again on a blank page and gradually build up the rest of your page again around it. Do it a few lines of markup and CSS at a time and check in a browser between saves. That's the best way to pinpoint a problem. Once you know what causes the problem you can find a fix more easily.

Thanks

I shall try the third suggestion.

I still don't understand where this link to the DD demo should appear and on what page of my site. Sorry, but I am quite challanged as I am a male.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No problem - I shall elaborate;

You need to post the link to the demo page here in the forum so it shows up in your post/thread.

Its so we can easily go to visit the demo page and check it against yours.

There are so many resources here on DD that a name alone can sometimes be ambiguous and a search then becomes another task being laid upon us in addition to providing a fix for a specific issue.

I think the problem stems from this thread being started in the incorrect forum - it should have gone into the DD scripts help forum and been in this format: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...-question-here
    (The post is a sticky at the top of that forum)

Thanks

Okay, I added the info to my first post. I'm sure it helps if one follows the rules. But remember, I am a male and thus won't read the instructions first like I should.

Do I need to repost in the other forum?

Thanks

Using the third suggestion I was able to determine that the position of the chrome drop down script was critical. I now have the menu working as desired.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK. I've approved the posts.

Some information on posts that get held back:

As moderators we have no control over what the forum's filters hold back, and what they let through. We don't even know for sure what all of the criteria are. To make matters a little more difficult, when a post is held back, it only shows up in the recent posts view if it's the first post in a new thread. If it's not, it does show up in the moderator's control panel, but I think I may be the only moderator who checks that with any frequency. If I'm busy, I might not see those right away. Or even if I do, I might not have the time to inspect them closely enough to determine if they should be approved or not.

Long posts seem to tend to get held back, as do posts with hot links in them. The safest thing to do is to post a link to your page or (if that page is offline) to a demo of the problem that you can put up somewhere on the web.

The link should not be a hot link though. Use a text only link - just the domain name and path. Do not preface with http or www. An example of a text only link:

example.com/somefolder/some.htm

If you type it like any of these:

Code:
    www.example.com/somefolder/some.htm

http://example.com/somefolder/some.htm

http://www.example.com/somefolder/some.htm
    It will automatically be converted to a hot link, that is unless it's in a code block like I just did to prevent hot linking.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate