Advanced Search

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fadeslideshow - mutiple on same page

Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 Times in 3,093 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oddly it does appear in the actual IE 8 under Win XP. But not all the time. Using that browser's developer tools, I cannot identify the element involved. It has a point and click way of identifying elements, but even at 400% magnification the line is still only 1px high so doesn't present much of a target. Looking above and below in the DOM tree yields nothing either.

However I did notice that the page is in quirks mode. If I use standards mode, it appears to go away. To test that out, change:

HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    to:

HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    Or, if you want the closest standards invoking DOCTYPE to the one it already has, you can use:

HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    I cannot be certain if that will fix it because, as I say, the lines didn't appear all the time in IE 8 anyway. I did try it numerous times though and the lines never came back in IE 8 standards mode. I also tried Safari Win (I have no Mac to test on), but it didn't show the lines. This may fix it in your Safari Mac too. Just no promises.

The page will need to be refreshed to see changes. The browser cache may need to be cleared first as well.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I tried both lines of code and neither made any difference in I/E.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fixed on IE 8 here under Win XP. Are you sure you cleared the browser cache and refreshed the page? If so, and it's still doing that, hit F12 and make sure it's rendering in Browser mode IE8 and Document Mode IE8 Standards. IE8 Compat View with IE7 Standards seem to work as well. Full IE 7 mode is fime too, just not IE8 Browser with Quirks Mode

Also, what OS are you running IE 8 under? Is it a genuine copy of IE 8, not a tester version or standalone?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I cleared my cache and it is still not working. OS XP Pro, IE 8. When I press F12, I get this: DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" Not sure what that means. My IE 8 was downloaded from the right place.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I meant to check above that, along the top of the developer tools window it shows the Browser Mode and the Document Mode.

In any case, if those are anything other than Browser Mode IE 8 and Document Mode Quirks Mode, there are no lines for me, and even if each are those, I only see the lines sometimes. I too am Using Win XP Pro and a real IE 8 browser. Both are up to date though because I maintain that machine with automatic update. That might be a difference.

I get the impression from you that in your IE 8 and Safari browsers that these lines are always there. If so that would be another difference.

In any case, I just thought of one thing that might fix this, which is changing the background color of the slideshows. To do that, put this in a stylesheet for the page:

Code:
    #fadeshow1, #fadeshow2, #fadeshow3, .gallerylayer {
    	background-color: white !important;
    }
    Use the !important keyword as shown to override the scripted black background.

Again - The browser cache may need to be cleared and/or the page refreshed to see changes.
    - John

Thanks

Thanks, but that didn't help...even with clearing cache.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This may be very hard to diagnose because you're seeing something different than what I'm seeing. However, since the code I suggested is not on the demo page at:

webs2impress.com/index_test_slideshows.html

I have no way of knowing if it's having any effect at all. Please put it in the head of that page as a stylesheet:

Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    #fadeshow1, #fadeshow2, #fadeshow3, .gallerylayer {
    	background-color: white !important;
    }
    </style>
    or incorporate its rule into the existing stylesheet for the page.

And please confirm whether or not you're seeing those lines in IE 8 all the time or just some of the time.
    - John

Thanks

That appeared to fix it! Thank you so much!