Thread: do I need to replace the motherboard

Thanks

Default do I need to replace the motherboard

I bought a Asus AS-870-PRO Desktop PC in Apr 2011 and paid for extended warranty.
    PC could no longer access internet in Dec 2012 - Network Adaptor need to be replaced.

Spoke with the PC repair technician engaged by the warranty company and was told that there are 2 options :
    1) install a new network adaptor
    or
    1) replace the motherboard with a different model-the motherboard that come with my PC is no longer being manufactured

The technician's advice to me is to just "add the network card to minimise change"
    The warranty company will call me today to go through the options.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me on which of the above options to take.
    Many thanks in advance.
    I have backed up my file using Acronis True Image.

Appended below are some reviews of the PC that I found online:

www.productreview.com.au/p/asus-as-870-pro.html

ugc.officeworks.com.au/answers/0576/product/COAS870PRO/qx-asus-as-870-i7-870-desktop-pc-questions-answers/questions.htm
    Last edited by traq; 02-01-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: removed "Hot" links

Thanks

it is MUCH cheaper to take out the old network card and put in a new one

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mlegg For This Useful Post:

amyy (02-01-2013)

Thanks

Well,if it is just one issue,a bad network adaptor,then it certainly is cheaper and easier to just do that.

However if you are experiencing more problems then consider the motherboard.I would only do this if I had more then one problem.
    Thanks,

Bud

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ajfmrf For This Useful Post:

amyy (02-01-2013)

Thanks

Thanks to both for your inputs.
    As my PC is still under warranty, I do not need to foot the cost of a new motherboard.
    Since the network card of the motherboard can get faulty within 2 years of purchase, I am concerned that there may be other imminent motherboard related problems.

Appended is an user's online review of the PC that I found:

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/asus-as-870-pro.html

Fast... but don't buy if you need a reliable computer.
    mlm18 posted this on Aug 20, 2012

Out of the box, a pretty fast and efficient desktop PC. But! and this is a very big but. On my one the hdd has failed twice in 11 months with a three week turnaround for a warranty claim . If you need a reliable computer I would be downspecing the hdd to about 500gb and a decent brand like seagate or WD (poor samsung one installed)

Being a 64bit computer it does have some software limitations too. Particularly if you use the ATO business portal to do your BAS statements (wont let you in with a 64bit machine)

PS: This review was brought to you on my 870 using a linux rescue usb drive to keep it going while I wait for the courier to pick it up for yet another hdd failure.

If I request for a new motherboard (another model), wonder if all my files that I backed up earlier will have issues with the new motherboard?
    Last edited by traq; 02-01-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: removed "hot" link

Thanks

Files have nothing to do with hardware. So as long as you can use the same software (eg, MS Word if you used that, etc.), you can use the same files. In theory the computer will be identical. If they only replace the motherboard (but not the hard drive) then you won't actually lose any files at all-- but it's good to have it all backed up just in case.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum