Advanced Search

Thread: Clicking within a frame

Thanks

Question Clicking within a frame

Would it be possible to have javascript detect if anything is clicked within a frame in a 2 frame window?

Such as this example:

Have a window open that is divided into 2 frames, a top and bottom. Would it be possible for the top frame to contain a script to know if anything has been clicked within the bottom frame's contents?

or I could have have a page open a new window and report back to the first page if anything has been clicked within the new window?

I am running a page exchange and would like to implement the feature of knowing if a member actually clicks on any links within the page that is being displayed.

Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.

Here is my example frame window:

PHP Code:
    <html>

<
    head><title>Site</title></head>

<
    frameset rows="45,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

<
    frame name="top" scrolling="no" noresize src="topframe.php">

<
    frame name="bottom" noresize SCROLLING="yes" src="http://www.SiteThatIWantToKnowIfClickedOn.com">

<
    noframes>
        <
    body><p>This page uses frames and your browser does not support them.</p></body>
        </
    noframes>

</
    frameset>

</
    html

Thanks
    Blog Entries

On the page in the top frame:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    window.bottomFrameClicked = function() {
      alert("Clicked!");
    }
    On the page in the bottom frame:
    Code:
    <body onclick="parent.top.bottomFrameClicked();">
    However, from the look of the code you provided, you don't have access to the body of the second page. You might be able to do something like this:
    Code:
    <frame name="bottom" noresize="true" scrolling="yes" src="http://www.SiteThatIWantToKnowIfClickedOn.com" onclick="top.bottomFrameClicked();" />
    However, I don't know if it'll work - it may be overridden by the body of the second page.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Twey,
    Hmm well I would see how that can work, but I cannot change the body tag of the site that will appear in the bottom frame...
    I know php can replace a string with something else.. is there a way javascript can do that? Like change the contents of the site in the bottom frame? Maybe we could add a "onunlod" type tag within the body tag of the site....

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes, there's a good point:
    Code:
    <frame name="bottom" noresize="true" scrolling="yes" src="http://www.SiteThatIWantToKnowIfClickedOn.com" />
    <script type="text/javascript">
    (var g = function(){
      if(typeof document.getElementsByName("bottom")[0].document.body == "undefined") setTimeout("g()", 10);
      else document.getElementsByName("bottom")[0].body.onload = document.getElementsByName("top")[0].bottomFrameClicked();
    })();
    </script>
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!