Thread: I am wondering

Thanks

Default I am wondering

what type of differences there are between the different jquery scripts .

I went to the download site and see there are many available but the numbers are much newer then scripts use (from what I have seen)

there are :

Most of what I have been using is version 1.4.2 or 1.4.6

Almost all are the min version too.

I would guess that if I put a different version from what some scripts are using now that the script may not work

Any thoughts,I presume most newer versions include more things will work????
    Last edited by ajfmrf; 01-05-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajfmrf View Post
    what type of differences there are between the different jquery scripts .
    Usually bug fixes, new features and deprecated functions are sometimes dropped.
    Almost all are the min version too.
    That just means they have been minified.
    I would guess that if I put a different version from what some scripts are using now that the script may not work

Any thoughts,I presume most newer versions include more things will work????
    If you want to see all the latest changes, you can drop by the jquery blog for the changelog.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As Bernie says, check the changelogs.

However, what I've noticed most is the constant revisions on how they handle events - new methods are in almost every major release, and the recommendations have moved from .click() to .live() to .delegate() to .on() (the current "best choice" for event handling). From what I understand, though, it's far from being useless changes: .on() is much better than the earlier methods. It just bugs me because now there's a collection of older methods in there, taking up space - I suppose I could roll my own jQuery and exclude them, though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

@traq I'd recommend against excluding those methods just so that they don't take up space, though. Furthermore, I recommend that you only include jQuery (if you're going to use it at all... ) from Google's hosting. It'd be so much faster using a cached script than downloading your own jQuery file and removing the methods that you just don't like.

Thanks

I tested all 12 scripts I have that used version .1.4.2 -all- work fine with the latest version of 1.8.3

I am going to use the newest version and check out some other 'differently' named jquery scripts and see how things work out.

LOL-as far as checking the 'changelogs' , I would not understand it.I am a novice( I can figure out simple scripts sometimes but nothing to elaborate ......

Thats why I hang out here to check out how some of these javascripts can be changed to work different ways and try and understand more.
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajfmrf View Post

LOL-as far as checking the 'changelogs' , I would not understand it.I am a novice( I can figure out simple scripts sometimes but nothing to elaborate ......
    Clicking the numbers next to the changes gives you a little more information about the change if you want some help puzzling out the changes.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie