Advanced Search

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: iOS6 'Do Not Disturb' bug - is one bad Apple rotting the whole barrel?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The world would be a better place without iPhone? Just a question. I don't know, 'cause I don't have one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say that, they are exceedingly helpful. Why do you think the world would be better without them?
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    Why do you think the world would be better without them?
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. That wasn't an affirmation, but a question. (But I must admit I am a bit afraid of complicated things that tend to provoke frustration).

Thanks

It might indeed be a better place.

But as someone with an iPhone, I find myself actively missing it much of the time when I don't have it and my email and the internet are not in my pocket! (For example, while traveling I have my phone but it's not connected to any service due to excessive roaming charges or even incompatible international networks-- the whole country of Ecuador for example; and this is a very problematic state, I assure you.... I'm disconnected!!)

Now if you mean that there might be some other kind of smart phone out there that is better than the iPhone and should permanently replace it.... that's probably true. I'm very happy with what the iPhone does, and I've adjusted to it. But I don't think it's necessarily the best of what it could be, probably not even close. I don't use other phones much (and they tend to confuse me... all so counter-intuitive, especially the iPhone until you get used to it), so I can't compare.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    It might indeed be a better place...I'm disconnected!!.
    Yes, that was in the back of my mind when I posed the question about a better world withour iPhone. HELP, I'M DISCONNECTED! The desire for being connected has certain similarities with the desire for smoking tobacco, for drinking alcool, in the sense that people feel unconfortable if there's no tobacco, alcool or 'connection' around.
    (Of course, I'm the last person to criticize iPhone-dependency, because I'm a smoker - of ordinary tobacco. But iPhone-users shoudn't judge me on that, of course).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm hooked on tobacco and connectivity, to name two. I try (not always successfully) not to judge others on their addictions and don't like it when I feel judged by others due to mine. I heard a feature on one of my local Public Radio stations (we have three here) about the connectivity addiction. There are now places you can go for rehab. No phones of any kind, no TV or computers either. Sounds really scary to me, while at the same time tempting. It would be nice to not need all that, or to just get away from it for a few days. I'd be fine without a phone. I'm one of the few people left without any sort of cell phone and I rarely use my land line. I'd miss that though because I use it for regular visits with my sister on the other coast and it comes in handy for appointments, etc. And Skype (a sort of phone) is very important to me. I spend more (though not much more) time on it than the phone.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Look, I think increased connectivity is a good thing at the stage it is now and as it is presented by the iPhone. There is of course a limit of how connected you should be, at which point it turns into an addiction and you should probably go to one of the places John mentioned, however, I think connectivity is a good thing.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beverleyh View Post
    Yey - thank you chaps

I'm finding it quite useful to check the DD forum first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Seeing the 'Do Not Distrub' thread in the Recent Posts block reminds me to change my iphone settings manually. The thread also reminds me to burp it too - LOL

There, there Diddums - it will be all better soon
    Well, it's now the 8th and 'Diddums' is still on the blinking blink!!!
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whois: "Diddums"?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Diddums is what I'm calling the iPhone until it can wake itself up from 'Do Not Disturb' mode again

It's still being affected by the bug even though Apple said things would fix themselves after the 7th
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org