Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iOS6 'Do Not Disturb' bug - is one bad Apple rotting the whole barrel?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

WOOT!!!
    Nice work Beverley!!! 1000 posts!!!

Thanks

Is Apple the new Microsoft?
    Yeah, something like that. Apple used to be better because it was small, reliable and generally high quality. Now it's still expensive and at best not much better than the competition. It's basically the effect of the iPod becoming so popular. It took a few years, but after that caught up with the company (around 5 years ago?), the whole thing started going downhill. I think the actual quality of Apple products has been steadily decreasing over time. They may still be better than the competition in some ways; but that's debatable. And they used to be significantly better.
    A great example is Final Cut Pro and iMovie. Both used to be good programs. Now they've both been made more "user friendly" (read "worse and limited"), rather than actually improving them over time. But then if you want something, let's say the ability to work with HD video, you do need the new versions, and you can't just stick to the old ones that are actually better.

But then again, Microsoft is now competing for the worst design moves-- trying to eliminate the desktop entirely (that is, making it secondary to the new must-be-for-preschoolers layout), as if people really want to go back to the days of Windows 3.1

(Edit: On the other hand, I think I'll be that guy at the retirement home grumpily rambling about "back in my day... computers were 2d and didn't connect to your brain!")
    Last edited by djr33; 01-04-2013 at 05:38 AM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    Oh yes, congratulations on 1,000 posts Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboard1333 View Post
    WOOT!!!
    Nice work Beverley!!! 1000 posts!!!
    Yey - thank you chaps

I'm finding it quite useful to check the DD forum first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Seeing the 'Do Not Distrub' thread in the Recent Posts block reminds me to change my iphone settings manually. The thread also reminds me to burp it too - LOL

There, there Diddums - it will be all better soon
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

As much as I may complain about it (it's far from perfect) I'm still very happy with my iPhone 3GS. I could upgrade it, but I don't feel like it. It works fine.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If we reffered to iphone's as we do changelogs, I think it would go more like, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. than 1.0, 2.0, 3.0.

I only say this as as far as I can see in terms of differences is, little lighter, little thiner, little faster, and to the last one; little longer.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

I disagree. It's redesigned each time. New hardware, a new "iOS", etc. That qualifies as a new "version" as far as I'm concerned. In the case of let's say Firefox (or Chrome), it's totally different-- the new-version-every-month system is absurd, and it's not even close to a new version because it's not redesigned. But the iPhone is, and that happens only once every year or two, so the timeframe is reasonable. I'm not sure what's going on with the "S" versions, though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I noticed another little glitch on my 4S last night. The 24hr clock setting had overridden the am/pm one that I originally had set before the new year. The slider switch indicated that the am/pm setting was in use though, but the clock was doing the 24hr thing. I slid the switch into 24hr mode then immediately back to am/pm and the glitch corrected itself so no harm done, but still a bit strange.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,227 Times in 3,188 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another 'feature'. It's trying to get you used to thinking in 24hr time. They should have something like that here in the states for the metric system. Although we use it many places, it still hasn't really caught on. You can't buy a liter of petrol in the states. It's still called gas and sold by the gallon.

Yeah I know, they have an app for that.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Although "petrol" sounds odd to me, I'd be happy to buy gas by the liter.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    I disagree. It's redesigned each time. New hardware, a new "iOS", etc. That qualifies as a new "version" as far as I'm concerned.
    I see what you mean, but I don't agree. IOS is independant of the devices besides releases to accompany devices and until you get to the nether-regions of unsupported devices. As to the design, where the changes are very prominent in IOS itself, xcode and the objective-c language, The devices usually have only 5 notable changes each version:
    Better processor: The processor is improved, a case study being the most recent iphone having an A6 chip incorporated as opposed to the A5 of the 4 and the A5x of the mini.
    Slightly thinner: The iphone 5 was 18% thinner if I remember correctly.
    Slightly lighter: The iphone 5 was 20% lighter if I remember correctly.
    Improved screen: The latest in the wave of screen updates is the retina screen which makes it 4x higher resolution than the latest ( I figure that from the point conversion by 4 to get the same amount of almost 'virtual' pixels).
    Improved internet reception: In this case I'm talking about the LTE chip and the recent intergration of 4g.

And for the latest devices:

A new charging/data transfer port: I'm talking about the lightning port, as opposed to the old however-many-it-was-pin connector, basically making it just a bit smaller and currently prevents third partys from making chargers and cables for it.

As far as I see it, I wouldn't say that's so considerable in terms of changes between versions. Every now and then an iphone really does warrant a version change, particualry the iPhone 5.

TL;DR:] I'm not saying that there's no noticable changes between iPhone's, I'm saying that if we were talking about phones as we did software updates, we'd be saying 1.1, 1.2. Then again, I'm not saying that that's the same with all the iPhones, wuite a few iPhone's would warrant their own version numbers.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie