Thread: ddSmoothMenu problem styling unlinked top level menu items

Thanks

Default ddSmoothMenu problem styling unlinked top level menu items

1) Script Title: ddsmoothmenu.css

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...smoothmenu.htm

3) Describe problem: I have a fully functional ddSmoothMenu iplemented at www.bichon.org
    However, I noticed when you navigate and hover over any item of the menu that is coded with and href="#", the URL changes to the last URL you were on. So, I attempted to remove the links on some of the items (they were only there for navigation and had no need for a link), but when I do that, the layout of those items in the menu gets jacked up. For example, the menu item defaults to black text and is not aligned like the linked items were. I attempted to correct this by trying to set padding options within the /*Top level list items*/ section, but the padding ended up propagating throughout all levels of the menu. I was able to change the color back to white. It's just the positioning of the "unlinked" menu items that I am struggling with. I need to have unlinked items or else when people select on the the items with a hash tag for the href, they are going to get a "page not found" message. I need to have a way to position menu items that are non-linked items.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 3,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

What URL changes where? In what browser and version?

When I hover over an href="#" link I see in the status that link, but nothing else changes. If I clcik on it, a # symbol gets added to the address in the address bar, but nothing else changes except that if I hit the back button in some browsers all it will do is go back to the address without the # symbol, but other browsers will still go back to the previous page. If that's all it is, it could be changed, (in fact I have an update where I believe, although you still see the # in the status, clicking it no longer updates the address), but that's fairly normal behavior and shouldn't really be an issue.

If there is some other problem, please be more specific as to which browser and which version of that browser I have to use, and what exactly do I have to do to see the problem.

Again, if the user clicks on an href="#" link, there should be no 404 not found, just a # symbol added to the address of the current page.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

It works as you explained, and my implementation is in Chrome, IE, FireFox and Safari...all the latest versions and on Windows. So, I don't really have a problem with anything that's broken I guess. As I hover over the items with hash tags I was noticing the URL was the prior URL I had been sitting on so I was concerned that it would take the user to an incorrect link. Since it actually causes a NULL action, it's not a problem at all. It's just me looking at the hover URL and worrying that user's might get confused. In reality, they will just CLICK and nothing should happen. Thank you for the quick response.