Thread: Moving from one host to another

Thanks

Default Moving from one host to another

Hi

I have been asked by a prospective client to host their website. I am concerned that the CMS, subscribers login & secure payment facility currently on the site will not function once I am hosting it. Please can someone advise me on the likelihood of this?

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It depends on the hosting platform and what's installed, or what features your client has already paid for.

I think for starters you should compare OS and versions of PHP/MySQL, etc. - if the client cant provide the info themselves (non-techy stumbling block), ask them to provide some documentation from their web host based on a series of questions that you prepare for them. Or maybe you can get a technical support line number to make a few calls yourself?

Can you find out what CMS and login scripts they use? If they're popular 3rd party scripts (rather than bespoke/one-off creations), they *should* be compatiable with all major systems, but it would help to download an install them yourself for testing purposes if you can.

Do they have full access to their current web hosting account? It might be a longshot but can they/are they willing to give you FTP access so you can download their current setup and install it on your own web host temporarily? I would think that if they want you to host their existing website, they shouldnt have many problems with you asking to do this - at least you can temper any concerns they might have and explain that you need to test for suitability and/or compatability. Then if you do need to source any other scripts I think they'd be greatful to know that you've done your research and are looking into alternatives or fall-backs - this could also help your price breakdown strategy and even bolster your developing relationship (you conscientious sort, you).

How's their relationship with their current web developer? Depending on their reason for transferring, you might be able to get in contact with them for a quick chat.

This might not be the most direct answer but I hope it helps.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

Along with what Beverley said, there's a good chance something won't work if you just move the files. But if you know what you're doing and you don't have any significant things missing on the new site (no database, no PHP, whatever) you should be able to fix it.
    The only real way to know is to test it. I've done this a number of times and always had slight issues, but usually things that can be fixed.

I can't say anything beyond that because it just depends on the details of the site.

Of what you mentioned, the payment system is the most worrying. Is that a feature of the current host? Is that external? I don't imagine you can move it just by cutting and pasting...
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    Of what you mentioned, the payment system is the most worrying. Is that a feature of the current host? Is that external? I don't imagine you can move it just by cutting and pasting...
    Yes, thats what got me thinking too. Hopefully its a Cube Cart handled by PayPal, or another open source eCommerce system that can be trialled and testing well ahead of time....

I've only really done site transfers on small-medium sites, from Windows to Unix systems, and then they were as part of redesigns/upgrades. I think most people would expect a few hurdles along the way, but in those cases I like to take the opportunity to source alternative scripts/softwares in an attempt to improve and "future proof" things - well, "future-proofing" as well as anyone can do without the help of a Tardis.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org