Thread: I got a question about images

Thanks

Default I got a question about images

If I have an image like this one http://www.web-user.net/mytools/hr2.png is it possible to change the background from white to nothing.When I use that image it shows a white background around the stars.

Is it possible to get rid of that using something free online?

I have the same issues with this image too http://www.web-user.info/images/topribbon.png .I also ish to get rid of the white part and then I want to learn to change colors on some thing like this one.

I would appreciate any assistance
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

GIMP is free and can handle transparencies : http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    Here's a video on how to make images with transparent backgrounds in GIMP : http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AC5vd...vdKuwTp0&gl=GB

Also for those times when you want to do quick image editing but don't have something like GIMP/Photoshop installed, you can use this free online tool here : http://pixlr.com/editor/

A png-8 is similar to a gif in that it offers 1-bit transparencies, meaning that a pixel is either totally opaque or totally see-through. These are fine if their backgrounds are simple block colors but can look a bit messy and unfinished on complex backgrounds (they leave a jaggedy edge).

A png-24 and png-32 images support alpha-transparency, which means that the transparent area can be of varying opacities - they make nice overlays where background patterns can show through and are better on more complex backgrounds as their edges look smooth.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

chertsey, a small town 25 miles south west of london, england.
    Thanks

Hi there ajfmrf,

our friend Beverleyh has given you all the information that you need, whilst I played with your images.

What more could you ask for.

coothead
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Just re-read the question and spotted the bit about wanting to change colours -

On a simple image with only a few colours (such as your ribbon) you can use something like the Image Adjustment >> Hue slider in Photoshop to change block/dominant colours. I'm not sure what that option is called in GIMP but I imagine it will offer something similar.

The hue slider cheat doesn't work on complex images though as it changes ALL the colours in an image, including skin tones, so unless you want to give everyone Shrek's or a Ribena Berry's complexion, you need to learn how to work with layers so you can copy/extract portions of an image and paste them into separate layers - this way you can apply a colour change that only affects the parts/layers you want. In Photoshop you can manipulate colour channels and specific colour selections with a variety of tools but I don't know what the equivelants are in GIMP so you'll need to play/search Google. Sorry.
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |

Thanks

Thanks Beverleyh and coothead.

Coothead-awesome job with images

Beverleyh-I am going to try and learn some of those image 'things'
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Good stuff - just take it bit by bit to avoid getting overwhelmed. If GIMP offers as many tools and plugins as Photoshop does, its easy to get bogged down with all the different options. It's good that you already have your first project/goals to concentrate on though. Coothead's prepared images provide an excellent starting point that you can build upon, and with YouTube just a few clicks away, you'll be mastering some effective image editing techniques to really help add some visual sparkle to your web projects. Keep up the good work!