Thread: Conveyor belt slideshow photos are visible outside the slideshow area.

Thanks

Question Conveyor belt slideshow photos are visible outside the slideshow area.

1) Script Title: Conveyor belt slideshow script

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...rightslide.htm

3) Describe problem: This script functions perfectly at the very bottom of this php page, where I inserted it. http://tinyurl.com/cwn

But - I also see all the images from the slideshow popping up at the top of the page, as well! I have no idea what I have done wrong.

I would appreciate all the help I can get!
    Last edited by chrissie; 12-08-2012 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi Chrissie,

* 1st concern - (aside from the "disable right-click" script that prevents us from easily using a browsers native function of viewing source code) you seem to have scripts and css links, that are meant for the <head> section of your web page, placed inside the <body> instead. Tidy the placement for those up first and it might fix your slideshow placement problem.

Other concerns - friendly advice from one web fan to another

* 2nd concern - Although this doesn't help with the placement as such, it is having a negative impact on how your page loads. I downloaded your page and its really, really big. Almost 6MB of resources (127 HTTP requests), most of which come from the unoptimised images used in the conveyor belt slideshow. I downloaded 4.6MB worth of those so try using something like Shrink-O-Matic to optimise them: http://toki-woki.net/p/Shrink-O-Matic/ . At 75% quality for jpg, they come out at 1.5MB, which is over 2/3s of a reduction. How good is that!?! This again will help with the loading of your script and page overall.

* 3rd concern - Linked to above - You have 44 images in the conveyor belt slideshow array. Hmmm, maybe too many - I dont think the slideshow was meant for more than about a dozen or so pics - possibly a few more if they are small and just for decoration. You should probably consider reducing the array number - just thinking from an accessibility point of view, who is going to sit and watch all 44 of your pics slide by? It's highly unlikely that many people are going to wait to see the last one (or even the middle/20th one) so you're adding lots of extra bulk for almost no benefit. If you want to showcase your images (which of course you do because they are fab!), maybe consider something like the PHP Photo Album Script: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...photoalbum.htm ? Basically, just re-evaluate the way you want to showcase your images, or just use much less of them, to get the best effect vs load-time trade-off.

* 4th concern - There are around 22 external script/css files totalling 800kb - try optimising these and combining them into only one or 2 to help speed things up. And/or only load the scripts you actually need on the pages that need them, and put them at the bottom if you can. It all help with how fast things "appear" to load for visitors.

As an overall gauge, I try to keep web pages + resources, under 600kb if I can - definitely under 1MB. Yes, many people have broadband internet today but this has just encouraged mass impatience. Just think, if a competitor's ultra-quick site only has 25 resources that equal 500kb, compaired to your current website version that is slower because it has over 12 times the bulk-mass to download, ask yourself this question: "who's website will be perceived (maybe wrongly) as being more reliable, more professional and more convenient to use?". And of course, what visitors think about your website will undoubtedly colour their impression of your company too.

Your website is actually a very nice thing to look at - I love the understated minimalism that allows your photos to stand out - so please just take my response as a bit of advice to help make the best out of an already very promising and attractive website
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beverleyh For This Useful Post:

chrissie (12-07-2012)

Thanks

indeed, there are numerous "dead" scripts listed in the code that belong to the original Wordpress template that my webguy transferred to a plain php site. I will have him clean it up, per your suggestions!

The images are indeed heavy-so maybe I will just delete half of them to keep the quality of those that are left (they are optimized for web, but sometimes a little too generously, indeed.)

Love your suggestions and help - Thank you so much, Beverleyh!

Thanks

Oh, and I have never seen Shrink-o-matic before, but it is fab!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No problem. Glad to be of help
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beverleyh For This Useful Post:

chrissie (12-07-2012)