Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Yikes,I am heading to the next level

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    I would like to correct something I think was said here recently to the effect that we have 0% female regulars. Unless I was misunderstanding, Beverleyh is more than 0%.

And we do get a lot of female participants here. Definitely not a 50/50 split, though. I'd say its closer to 30/70.

If you only count participants who're legible and seem sincere, that might be closer to 40/60.
    We were actually referring the number of regulars at the time I wrote the dd statistics thread, at which time Beverly was not regularly visiting.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

I agree with Beverly's sentiment (correct me if I am wrong here) that guys and girls are different. We think differently from each other and are culturally different as well. This has led to a greater ratio of guys to girls in the coding market and a lack of of interest from women to the prospect of becoming a coder. I don't believe that it is all cultural either. Men and women's brains are wired differently. Obviously this doesn't mean that all men hate being receptionists or that all women will hate working in a steel mill, but the desire for men to be a receptionist is less than for women and vice versa for the steel mill.

That's my best guess on the matter. That being said I have seen my fair share of female coders on this site as well. Much less than male coders though. As far as regular coders go on this site there are not too terrible many and we are quite happy that Beverly is one of them, partly because she is a girl .
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks

Statistically, it's still quite low. In terms of regular users, there's Beverley and Kuau who come to mind for me, and looking at the stats for all users with >100 posts, there are a total of 156 users, 6 of whom I believe are women. It's possible that I'm missing some due to anonymity, but it's still fairly low.

So if that's a reasonable approximation, based on "regulars" = 100+ posts, 3.8% of our users are women.

Interestingly they're fairly evenly distributed, so that ~3-4% seems stable. For example, just looking at the list of highest post count until Beverley (so there's one female user), it's 3.7% female-- 27 users, one of whom is a woman.

(And I agree about Beverley's story-- must be very frustrating. I can't say I'm all that surprised though-- the cultural stereotypes are pretty strong.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As best as I can think of:
    Male dominated industries:
    accounting and finance
    IT
    Engineering
    Maths?
    Science?
    law enforcement
    politics
    Construction/trades

Female dominated industries:
    Nursing
    Communications/public relations
    Primary school teaching
    HR
    Accounting
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

Thank you for that list. I was trying to think which ones were typically male or female dominated. The accounting one surprised me though. I tend to think of that one as being male dominated. I am not familiar with accounting though. It sounds incredibly boring as a career.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

After looking up the stats, in the U.S.A, something around 60% of accountants are female.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

how did this thread turn to this?
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In short, because I inked to the dd stats thread and beverly's post:
    I wonder what % of members are women? It puzzles me why IT roles are still so heavily male-dominated, even in this day and age. I'm the only IT lass where I work and I don't think my workplace has ever been visited by an external lady IT technician in the 5 years that I've worked there. Still get the occasional muppet on the other end of the phone who refers to me as the receptionist too... even though they've just been transferred from reception :/
    You're lucky you didn't see Keyboard and my conversation which was deleted because it was so pointless.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

Welcome to the lounge!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The lounge: A place to hijack threads with no fear of retribution.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie