Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yikes,I am heading to the next level

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beverleyh View Post
    Group hug for everyone hanging out in The Lounge!

So are you guys members of other forums as well as DD?
    I'm a member on a couple... dd forums, a batch scripting forum, web developers, coding forums, (last two I'm bairly active) a forum for age of empires 2, vb.net forums (barely active), and that's about it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for those links traq - I see you're online at phpbuilder right now
    actually, (on my home computer) I just never sign out of anything

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ha! So true - a moderator's work is never done

Keep up the great work in the forum ajfmrf - it's nice to have another regular around.

I cant remember where i saw the article I read a while back - think it was by Jakob Neilsen - but it talked about web visitor contribution; 10% of visitors contribute occasionally and 1% contributes regularly. It seems that the vast majority of folks only sign up at DD to get a question answered and they're never to be seen again, which is a shame. It's a more pleasant atmosphere when people hang around, contribute, learn and grow together. I suppose that's just the nature of the web though - people use it to find information and once they have it, its purpose is served... exit();
    I wrote a thread dedicated to dynamic drive statistics a while ago that you may find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard1333 View Post
    vb.net forums (barely active)
    I thought you got ip banned from vb forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    KB and Beverley, the other side to that is that it does make the forum a more active place and brings in new members. I think the main reason DD works is because it's attached to the DD scripts help section-- that brings in a lot of new people, and otherwise it wouldn't really be set apart from other web design sites (not that I'm saying it's not better than many of them-- I think it is).
    I agree though that it's nice to chat with the regular users and get to know people a bit more than just talking about code (or whatever the topic may be).
    There are 85,513 posts in dd scripts help currently, and 121,697 posts in all the other forums combined. Draw your own conclusions from that.
    ajfmrf, I don't know about the fonts. I haven't experienced that. Is there any chance you're unintentionally zooming in with the trackpad? I know that at least on a mac if you move your thumbs to the wrong spot while typing once in a while a "gesture" can occur on the trackpad-- for me the most common issue is inadvertently going 'back' in the browser while typing a reply to a post. If not, this is something ddadmin should know. I can't replicate it (on a mac).
    If the control key is stuck down for some reason and you scroll, that can cause zooming. That's the only thing I can think of, check your control key.
    Last edited by bernie1227; 11-18-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    Nope.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard1333 View Post
    Nope.
    At least, not with the IP he's on now

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by traq View Post
    At least, not with the IP he's on now
    Pretty much.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, he got banned for a rather amusing post, keyboard might still have a copy lying around.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Was keebs being naughty?

The stats were interesting - I think I was only a few weeks from shoe-horning myself back into 'active users' at that point too (damn the sis for being poorly and ruining my flow!)

I wonder what % of members are women? It puzzles me why IT roles are still so heavily male-dominated, even in this day and age. I'm the only IT lass where I work and I don't think my workplace has ever been visited by an external lady IT technician in the 5 years that I've worked there. Still get the occasional muppet on the other end of the phone who refers to me as the receptionist too... even though they've just been transferred from reception :/
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Was keebs being naughty?
    He was indeed, the one part I do remember of the post was:
    Which was surprisingly witty for the odd bit of spot spamming.
    The stats were interesting - I think I was only a few weeks from shoe-horning myself back into 'active users' at that point too (damn the sis for being poorly and ruining my flow!)
    I think apachetech left around the same time I posted that. Maybe he wasn't into "commitment"?
    I wonder what % of members are women? It puzzles me why IT roles are still so heavily male-dominated, even in this day and age. I'm the only IT lass where I work and I don't think my workplace has ever been visited by an external lady IT technician in the 5 years that I've worked there. Still get the occasional muppet on the other end of the phone who refers to me as the receptionist too... even though they've just been transferred from reception :/
    Of the regular members? Probably 0%. I think the guardian did a thing on it.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Was keebs being naughty?
    Hehehehehe

It is a bit odd.... personally, I'd say that men are viewed as more computery than women just because of steryotypes (I'm definetely not agreeing with this though).
    How many female hard core gamers are there when compared with males... same thing.

Edit -
    Epic fail cross post...
    But just to be pedantic... the link was ma site (I'm fairly sure)

the one part I do remember of the post was:
    I'm fairly sure he remembers a great deal more of the post.... including the username of the poster in question, but we wont go there as to stop this thread getting even more distracted... (take the hint bernie )
    Last edited by keyboard; 11-19-2012 at 05:37 AM.