Thread: menus drop down *behind* google ads in IE

Thanks

Default menus drop down *behind* google ads in IE

Script: Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/

Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu looks very nice on my Mac in Safari and Firefox, but an unfortunate thing happens in Internet Explorer: the menus appear hidden behind any Google Adsense advertisements. Here's an example test page:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/lowwate...ion_copy.shtml

The Google ads render the menus quite unusable! I don't know if this problem also exists in the more recent IE versions used on PCs, but if so, it's a major problem, since 70% of people viewing my site still use IE.

Is there a solution, other than moving all advertisements away from the menus? (The best solution might be if it just turns out that this does not happen in IE for Microsoft Windows.)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well it doesn't happen in IE6 Win XP for me, so that's a bit of good news. Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac, though isn't IE basically dead in the Mac these days?

I'm not sure there is a quick fix for this, since with z-index already defined in the CSS, it's up to the browser to choose to correctly display the menu on top of other elements.

Thanks

That's great. Thanks very much for checking.

The only use for IE on the Mac is for looking for IE bugs that might show up on PCs, and for exceptionally stupid websites (such as Continental Airlines) which require IE. Not many people use IE on a Mac, given all the better alternatives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think you'd get a better picture of IE Windows by using Mac Firefox than Mac IE, to be honest. The last browser is horribly out of date, and even differs from its counterpart in Windows (IE5) as far as how it renders certain CSS and JavaScript.