Thread: Online Workshops

Thanks

Default Online Workshops

The description says scripts or services and I'm looking for good online workshops in web development & design (free or paid). Not colleges that offer degrees. I have found a few on Google, but thought I would ask if anyone knows some good ones.

EDIT: Oh, and I already know about http://www.w3schools.com/cert/default.asp

~Keven

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The best one in my opinion, is tizag.com
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Before you get specifically into web design or development, go through a good tutorial that covers all the basics.
    You probably want to learn at least Html and Css, probably javascript and maybe later a bit of php.
    Or, you could take a course that teaches you the basics and gives you a certificate in IT or some such...

I'd suggest skipping over w3schools.
    I don't think they're the best tutorial out there.
    I also wouldn't bother with any of the certification services that those kind of websites offer.
    If you want to get certified, I'd look into doing a course at a uni or such...

As for learning the basics, I agree with bernie.
    Tizag, in my opinion, is one of the better quality tutorials for learning to program for the web.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard1333 View Post
    Before you get specifically into web design or development, go through a good tutorial that covers all the basics.
    You probably want to learn at least Html and Css, probably javascript and maybe later a bit of php.
    Or, you could take a course that teaches you the basics and gives you a certificate in IT or some such...
    The best thing you can do in that regard, is actually learn one language before moving onto another. If you don't have a firm grasp on html, don't start focusing solely on css, get your knowledge of html down pat first. Once you've got a firm grasp on the lower level languages, (html + css) you can start moving onto scripting languages such as javascript (I would suggest doing javascript first) and then php.
    I'd suggest skipping over w3schools.
    I don't think they're the best tutorial out there.
    I also wouldn't bother with any of the certification services that those kind of websites offer.
    If you want to get certified, I'd look into doing a course at a uni or such...
    In my opinion W3C really isn't anywhere near the standard of tizag. Sure, some of the tutorials on tizag are older than the w3c ones, but the level of detail in tizag far surpasses that of W3C, making it a far better resource for learning.

One thing we didn't mention, is practical experience. You'll get nowhere without it. So while going through these tutorials, you have to understand that simply reading them and glancing at the code is not enough, you have to try the code and fiddle with it yourself.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    In my opinion W3C really isn't anywhere near the standard of tizag. Sure, some of the tutorials on tizag are older than the w3c ones, but the level of detail in tizag far surpasses that of W3C, making it a far better resource for learning.
    OKAY....

Here's a chance to clear up some confusion.

1. w3schools is not related to the W3C in any way.
    They chose a similar name for marketing purposes.

(since you mentioned it, their certification programs are also useless - no employers recognize or respect W3Schools certificates, as W3Schools has absolutely no authority over the technologies for which they claim to provide certification, and likewise have no support from standards bodies (i.e.,the W3C).

(I've tried several of their [so-called] exams. "Superficial" is the most forgiving way I can describe them. They are very carefully designed to make sure you can pass them without too much trouble, in the hopes of building up your ego so you'll buy the certificate.)

2. w3schools is full of wrong and/or misleading information.
    yes, some of it is good/fine, but they cause more problems than they solve.

-------------------
    Recommendations:
    there are other, far better, resources for web development:
    • html,css,javascript from the ground up is a fantastic introductory tutorial series.
    • sitepoint is a thorough, straightforward reference site
    • the MDN is great for intermediate/advanced topics
    • I find quirksmode very useful in figuring out problems (it's not always completely up-to-date, but the info it provides is solid)
    • Web Platform is a new community, but it has the support of the W3C and looks promising.
    • the W3C's site is not really aimed at beginners, but they are the standards body - again, w3schools is not affiliated with the w3c in any way.

learn more

yes, that was >>me<< that just used loud, annoying formatting in a post.
    back to your regularly scheduled program
    Last edited by traq; 10-14-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks

I have an understanding of the basics of HTML & CSS, it's just there are a few of the more advanced stuff I need practice with and PHP as well as others are also on my list.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Like I said before, and as others said, I suggest a full grasp of html + css before starting on scripting languages. Either way, take a look at tizag.com or traq's google code university for html + css and javascript.
    I'd suggest using tizag for php as well, as google don't like php.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've yet to find a PHP tutorial/ learning site that I can recommend wholeheartedly and without reservation.

All I can suggest is that the first thing you check on a tutorial is which version of PHP it was written for (pass over -anything- less than version 5.2; 5.3+ is preferable). Next, see how, and how often, they use echo:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    ##  lots of echos mixed throughout script  ##
    ################## BAD !!! ##################

$name $_POST['name'];  // logic
    echo "Hello, $name!<br>";  // output
    $colors = array( 'red','blue','yellow' );  // logic
    echo "Choose your favorite color:<br>";  // output
    echo "<form>";  // output
    foreach( $colors as $color ){  // logic

echo "<input type=radio name=color value=$color$color<br>";  // output in loop!
    }
    echo 
    "<input type=submit value=Submit>";  // output
    echo "</form>";  // output
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    ##  all logic first, all output last  ##
    ##############  GOOD  :)  ##############

// logic
    $name $_POST['name'];
    $colors = array( 'red','blue','yellow' );
    $message "Hello, $name!<br>
    Choose your favorite color:<br>
    <form>"
    ;
    foreach( 
    $colors as $color ){

$message .= "<input type=radio name=color value=$color$color<br>";
    }
    $message .= "<input type=submit value=Submit>
    </form>"
    ;

//output
    echo $message;
    exit;
    Obviously, php.net is the authoritative reference site, and is fantastic, at that, but it is a *reference,* not a *tutorial.*

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    Like I said before, and as others said, I suggest a full grasp of html + css before starting on scripting languages...
    I'd suggest using tizag for php as well, as google don't like php.
    except for the fact that they do exactly what I just described, tizag does do a decent job with introductory PHP concepts. Just avoid mixing PHP and HTML
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    ##  DON'T DO THIS:
    php php php 
    ?>
    html html html
    html <?php php php?>
    html
    <?php
    php
    ?>
    html
    , and avoid the mysql_* functions (they're outdated; use mysqli_* or PDO instead).

I absolutely agree that you need to be very thoroughly familiar with HTML (as well as CSS, and javascript if you plan to use it) *before* trying to figure out something like PHP. PHP *writes* HTML, so obviously, you need to be able to do your HTML without too much effort so you can concentrate on learning the PHP stuff.

Last edited by traq; 10-14-2012 at 04:53 AM.