Thread: Several reasons for not loving Google Chrome and Opera.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Several reasons for not loving Google Chrome and Opera.

Several reasons for not loving Google Chrome and Opera.
    Too often, Chrome and Opera have a hard time to find a (new, uncached) site when you ask those browsers to go there. The connection is either slow or won't succeed. Trying a second time often resolves the problem, but why would we need two efforts?

There's often heavy flicker on page transition with Chrome.

Simply pressing F5 won't always clear the cache with Chrome.

Opera has a tendency to produce flicker with Flash.

Parent.scrollTop from within an iframe makes Chrome feel uneasy. The parent window moves to a negative top position.

I created workarounds to resolve these issues, but that doesn't provide an excuse for bad behavior on the part of Chrome and Opera.

Many ugly things have been said about IE, and rightly so, but it seems that IE9 must be preferred now to Chrome and Opera (if we ignore IE safety vulnerabilities).

And FF is by far the best. It may sometimes load pages slowly, but it DOES load them, always!

Sleep well,
    Arie.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The only browser I don't see mentioned there is safari, what is your opinion on that?

Personally I like chrome, mostly because of the high browsing speeds compared to some of the other browsers, and high quality web tools.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Personally, I agree with you. I prefer Firefox and ie9.
    The one problem that I find with Firefox is that sometimes it just crashes inexplicably.
    Half way through loading a page, it will just stop working...

I've never noticed the problem with loading in-cached pages in chrome.
    For me, I've always found chrome as one of the faster browsers.

Actually, talking about speed, I really think that Ie9 is the fastest...

One problem that I've noticed with chrome is that for jquey scrolltop it is very jerky...

That's my thoughts on it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    The only browser I don't see mentioned there is safari, what is your opinion on that?.
    I don't know, I haven't tried yet.
    Arie.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard1333 View Post
    The one problem that I find with Firefox is that sometimes it just crashes inexplicably.
    Half way through loading a page, it will just stop working... One problem that I've noticed with chrome is that for jquey scrolltop it is very jerky...
    Agree. And scrollTop isn't just jerky with jQuery. Chrome just doesn't understand scrollTop.
    Arie.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard1333 View Post

Actually, talking about speed, I really think that Ie9 is the fastest...
    Ie9 is not the fastest by far, in many speed tests pulling way behind chrome and Firefox (with chrome being the fastest) and beating only safari.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by molendijk View Post
    Agree. And scrollTop isn't just jerky with jQuery. Chrome just doesn't understand scrollTop.
    Arie.
    That's when the plugin sooth scroll comes in. Or alternatively, you could just change the setting for GPU accelerated compositing on.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

I aware of many bugs with Opera. It isn't perfect and often glitchy. It could be a lot worse and I would still use it simply because of the degree to which I can control how it operates. I can customize it in so many ways and make it do so many different things. The other browsers rely on extensions to do what you want.

Opera really isn't bad as far as standards compliance goes and in staying up to date with the latest versions of html, javascript, and css. When it does fail I do groan a bit. I am always happy to see Opera's continuing progress at fixing and improving its browser.

From what I have seen, and I could be wrong on this, Opera users tend to be rather loyal and have a love for the browser much like myself although the reasons may not be the same as mine.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by james438 View Post
    From what I have seen, and I could be wrong on this, Opera users tend to be rather loyal and have a love for the browser much like myself although the reasons may not be the same as mine.
    On that area of the topic, opera seems to be like the linux of the browsers, it doesn't have as many users as the others, but the ones who do use it are usually diehard fans of it.

As to the whole topic however, all of the browsers have bugs, those who say they don't are kidding themselves, but it is whether the good things about them outweigh the bugs as to how we see how good the browsers are.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    On that area of the topic, opera seems to be like the linux of the browsers, it doesn't have as many users as the others, but the ones who do use it are usually diehard fans of it.
    That sounds like me
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site