Advanced Search

Thread: sharing wamp

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default sharing wamp

Hiya guys,
    at the moment I am attempting to 'share' wamp, ie, share it with other users over a network, and I can't seem to do it. So far I've tried using the local ip, and that didn't work.
    P.S, the port that wamp is on is 8080, rather than the usual 80.
    Any suggestions are appreciated,
    Bernie
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

Hm? You're trying to create an intranet? Or you're trying to share the program for use as a program?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, basically, we're editing a website over a network, and We want to have php on it, so the best way we thought to do that, was to share wamp, and put the website in that.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

What's "share"? That's what I'm trying to figure out. You want to enable HTTP and FTP for this via your local network? Or you want to allow them to access the folders on your computer? Or something else?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

the access the folders one was the closest, but that's what we're already doing. The idea is, to edit the same files at the same time, which currently we are doing reasonably successfully, however, we need the website to have php as well, so rather than giving up this synchronous editing, we decided we needed to find a way to both edit one of the users localhost.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

ssh (most machines come with an ssh program installed). You could even use an FTP program (like Filezilla) to open files for editing remotely, and then saving them back to the host computer when you're done.

you might still overwrite each other's work, however, if you're literally working on a file "at the same time." You might want to look into a VCS (e.g., git).

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll look at that, currently, we've been editing the same file in notepad++ on different machines, which prompts us to reload the page when one of us makes a change to it. I suppose the ideal situation would be something along the lines of google docs. At the moment however, I'm just doing the once-over on google for any more information about accessing wamp from other computers.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

nevermind about the wamp guys, I accidentally completely stopped all access, (getting a 403 error on everything I try) So I've uninstalled wamp, and will see if I can install it in the shared directory.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie