Thread: Resizable textarea and Opera

Thanks

Default Resizable textarea and Opera

Just an interesting note, but the latest build in Opera, which is likely to be released in a couple days has just added a new feature that is already available elsewhere. Resizable textareas. I'm not totally sure what I think about it, but mostly I like it. The only part I am not sure about from a web designer's standpoint is how I can disable it if I so choose.

Those that know me know that I love the Opera browser, so I'm a little excited about this. I had been planning on writing some javascript or just adding it to my site from elsewhere to allow for resizable textareas, but this works too.
    Last edited by james438; 09-28-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks

Resizable text boxes are a strange thing to deal with. They're obviously useful but at the same time can get in the way. It would be nice to have them only resizable in a way that works for the page's layout.
    Most browsers also only allow making the textbox larger, not smaller (except to return to the normal state).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Yes, it would be nice if the textbox could be resized smaller. That was the first thing I was disappointed with. I have often been frustrated with sites that have forms where they expect me to write a 500+ word message or comment in a textarea that only allows 7 visible words. I send comments to the webmaster when I see such things, but have not received any responses back about it. I suspect that they did read what I had to say though. For such sites like that and for an avid Opera user like myself this is quite a nice new feature for Opera even if it is old hat elsewhere.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Could you use:
    Code:
    resize: none;
    To stop it resizing?
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 3,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    Could you use:
    Code:
    resize: none;
    To stop it resizing?
    That's a CSS3 style property/value pair and supposed to work in Safari which also has resizable textareas. Setting the width and height in style will prevent it from becoming smaller. Setting the max-width and max-height should prevent it from becoming larger. If that works, you could set width and max-width the same, likewise for the height/max-height to prevent resizing. Or you could, again if that works, set the max values a bit larger to allow for some resizing.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

resize:none and max-height work. I didn't try the settings out extensively, but I am glad they work. Since this is the first build to try out the resizable textareas it was a good idea to test it out.