Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Social Thread (v1)

Thanks

I have no problem with frequent minor updates. At the moment we should be maybe at approximately Firefox 5. If all of the last 2 years' updates had been 4.1, 4.1.1, 4.2.7, 4.5, 4.8, and finally 5, I'd be perfectly content with their update strategy. But by calling them full version numbers, I think there is something completely wrong with their strategy.

There are two things wrong with the updates (and you're right about that, John!):
    1. The psychology/strategy/whatever of updating to a new number every 6 weeks is misguided. I believe it puts the focus on the updates and the number, while ignoring the product. FF was good before these updates. It's bad now. I'm assuming there's a connection. Part of it is probably that by having a whole new version number they can change things significantly and make old add-ons incompatible (if it was all under "FF4" there would be less of an excuse to change things around completely). It sort of feels like they put FF through a blender every month. There's also, I think, much less focus on actually improving each version with subversions. Instead, it's just time to make FF20 or whatever.
    2. As you said, the actual updates are bad. But as someone who was happy with the old FF, I'd like to imagine it would have changed a lot less over the past two years if it were just updating subversions. So it would take them less time to drive it off the metaphorical cliff, so to speak, even if that's what they were trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    Quote Originally Posted by KB
    Also, other people's opinions don't matter.
    That has to be the most wildly innacurate statement of the whole thread.
    You do realize that people are autonomous individuals and, despite some social conventions and trends, do actually behave individually with their own opinions, right? To say "best" and imagine some psychological test that could find it, taking individuality out of it, is, ironically perhaps the "most wildly inaccurate statement of the whole thread"

I have no problem with you liking Chrome (or Opera, or Safari or whatever). But the fact that you like those doesn't mean that I do.

The entire concept of "individual differences" gets a huge amount of attention in psychological research. (And that's more or less a technical term, not just my description.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    You do realize that people are autonomous individuals and, despite some social conventions and trends, do actually behave individually with their own opinions, right? To say "best" and imagine some psychological test that could find it, taking individuality out of it, is, ironically perhaps the "most wildly inaccurate statement of the whole thread"

I have no problem with you liking Chrome (or Opera, or Safari or whatever). But the fact that you like those doesn't mean that I do.

The entire concept of "individual differences" gets a huge amount of attention in psychological research. (And that's more or less a technical term, not just my description.)
    Perhaps my point was poorly worded, but Daniel explained it better than I can.
    (People's opinions on webbrowsers will not change my opinion)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    A couple of issues with this here statement; my part about the test for the 'best' was a purely hypothetical situation in which you could take something completely subjective and view it objectively. Of course that is not possible, and as such, I don't see how I have said the "most wiled let inaccurate statement of the whole thread", however, if keyboard's statement was true, (which it obviously is not), then people would really just go around doing whatever the heck they felt like, and both social convention and even things such as empathy would be rendered null and void. If there was such a thing as a world where other people's opinions didn't matter, I would most definitely not want to live in it.
    And vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by keyboard1333 View Post
    Perhaps my point was poorly worded, but Daniel explained it better than I can.
    (People's opinions on webbrowsers will not change my opinion)
    If that was your point, then it was poorly worded indeed. So you're basically saying, that if every other ff user were to switch to chrome, and all sort of support was dropped, you would stay with Firefox (assuming it still had the same traits that you are so in love with now)?
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1227 View Post
    If that was your point, then it was poorly worded indeed. So you're basically saying, that if every other ff user were to switch to chrome, and all sort of support was dropped, you would stay with Firefox (assuming it still had the same traits that you are so in love with now)?
    I don't love firefox, I simply like it more than the others.
    Yes, if I was the only person in the world that used firefox, and it stayed the same that it is now, I'd continue to use it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Seem thing must also be said however, for trying other browsers, for example, the only two browsers you've ever used regularly are ff and ie, would you still feel the same if you'd spent the same time on chrome and opera as well?
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Admittadly, no, I probably wouldn't.
    I've used chrome regulary for about a week before I decided I didn't like it and went back to firefox...
    I've never used Opera for anything other than webdevelopment...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fair enough :P
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

It took me a long time to warm up to Chrome. I originally had it for testing only. But as FX became more and more unstable and sluggish, I decided to make the switch to Chrome. After all, having used it for so long, I was becoming familiar with it. I had it for at least 6 months, maybe longer, before I switched over to it on a more or less permanent basis.

I still use Opera for browsing, but my primary - the browser launched when my editor or anything tied to the OS calls for a browser was always FX. Now it's Chrome. What I like about it is its stability, low memory profile and wealth of developer tools integrated into it, not as they are with FX where they're cumbersome add ons.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Christmas fact 1: partridges are land birds; you need to scare them if you want to get them into a pear tree.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bernie1227 For This Useful Post:

keyboard (12-24-2012)

Thanks

Ah, the wonderful traditions given to us by our ancestors.

Also that one about chopping a tree down and putting it inside your house!
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

12. The Following User Says Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

keyboard (12-24-2012)