Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Social Thread (v1)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

what does RT mean anyway? What does RTM mean then?
    Yes, 'specs' != 'technical specifications'
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Apparently, the Surface comes with "Windows RT" - it's a metro-app-only version of win8. It won't run normal windows programs (with the exception of the RT versions of Office and IE10).

They had to do it for compatibility with ARM processors.

The full version of Win8 (which will run XP/vista/7 programs) will be available for the surface later on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well that's just bad. No wonder it's only $600
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Two and a half stars. Not our best effort I hope.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

I notice there is no date on that review.
    To choose the lesser of two evils is still to choose evil. My personal site

Thanks

That's about the site, not the forum. And to be fair, it's true to a large extent-- a lot of the scripts are older scripts, intentionally kept around to maintain support (or at least a reference) for anyone using them. That's the case for the no right click scripts, among others. And I can see how someone would get that impression just browsing the site. But at the same time there are a lot of high quality newer scripts as well.

Perhaps it would help the site to present them in such a way that the newer scripts are more obvious than the older ones-- not sure how this could be done (and it would probably require a significant redesign for the main menu) but it's not a bad idea.

Or just adding "deprecated" to some of the older scripts could be similarly effective.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

To be fair there are a lot of deprecated scripts. At the moment when I get free time I'm having a crack at 'restoring' some of the really hopeless scripts as such. Some of the scripts are actually rather amusing if you go to the really early ones. I specifically like the sound file playing onmouseover one,which only works in ie. This is probably the least legitimate/up to date page of the whole site though. I only brought this whole thing up because I was reading an old thread in the lounge which linked to a rather scathing webdeveloper.com forum post about us.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Could you post a link to the thread that linked this scathing post?
    I'd like to see it...

My personal favourite of the "dodgy" ddscripts is the Watermarking script... it's just css background-image...
    I actually kind of want to make a good version of this.... There's something to do in my "spare spare spare" time. (as compared to my spare time)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The dates are on all the scripts though so isnt it at the descretion of the webmaster to decide if they want to use an older one or not?

I dont see a problem personally with the way the scripts are presented/archived - the dates are clear and they make a good reference point (as Dan says).

Maybe a disclaimer could be added to the demo pages to remind people that "this script is more than X months/years old and remains on DD mainly for reference purposes. While this script may continue to function resonably well in modern browsers, please be aware that more modern and efficient scripts are being developed that can be found here [link]/higher up the demo script list pages".
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I think the best approach would be to sort through everything and move the outdated scripts to a "deprecated/support-only" category. It would be a lot of work, though.