Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Social Thread (v1)

Thanks

I'm not saying I support that-- I'm saying the same logic applies. So I find it equally problematic that there may have been some influence in the question of sanity on the court's ruling based on public opinion.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A few years ago I had a Samsung omnia - one of the early touch screens. Horrible experience, and that put me off the touch screens until now. I've been favouring blackberry bold until very recently as we've been rolling out a 'bring your own device' program in the school where I work so we've had loads of students bringing in iPads and other tablets to use on the school network. It's really made me sit up and take notice of how far the touch screen technologies have come. I may be a bit late to the party but now I plan to boogie with the best of them
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    I'm not saying I support that-- I'm saying the same logic applies. So I find it equally problematic that there may have been some influence in the question of sanity on the court's ruling based on public opinion.
    There it was more or less a wash. The man wasn't ever getting out either way. The public perception however must have been that to classify him as insane was somehow making it a lesser offense, which in a way it would. But the state determined that it didn't matter. Because the death penalty wasn't on the table, they could afford to in good conscience assuage the public to that degree.

And that's all speculation on my part. It could have gone down that way. But perhaps the facts on the ground were really something else.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 10-01-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: English Usage
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As to phones; get a nokia.
    If an Iphone is a Ferrari, a Nokia is an armoured tank.

Thanks

There it was more or less a wash. The man wasn't ever getting out either way. The public perception however must have been that to classify him as insane was somehow making it a lesser offense, which in a way it would. But the state determined that it didn't matter. Because the death penalty wasn't on the table, they could afford to in good conscience assuage the public to that degree.
    But there's a difference in how he is treated, no, and where he does his time? The question is between treatment and imprisonment.

Nokia? I guess I still associate that with my flip phone from about 10 years ago-- perhaps they've improved since then. But in my mind the proper association is "If an iphone is a ferrari, a nokia is a motorized scooter."
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    But there's a difference in how he is treated, no, and where he does his time? The question is between treatment and imprisonment.
    I doubt there would be much difference in this case in that locale. There could be though. It's reported that he said he wasn't going to appeal because he doesn't recognize the court's authority. With that attitude it might be difficult for them to treat him regardless of how he's classified. However, treatment is probably the best way to prevent him from being disruptive and/or dangerous.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Or simply to isolate him. Treatment doesn't necessarily involve change, but it can also involve simply not allowing socialization in prison or allowing socialization only under appropriate (structured/supervised) circumstances.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Right, considering his apparent attitude, that might be their best recourse regardless of his classification.
    - John

Thanks

From the minimal amount I know of the case, I'm not sure it's an "attitude". I think it's potentially a belief caused by paranoia, which is relevantly different. Secondly, I meant it as much for his protection (from the angry mobs of prison-- he's famous now, right?) as for the protection of others.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Nothing there I don't agree with. But it makes me wonder. Perhaps that's the difference in the classification. As a sane person, it's an attitude. If he were classified as insane, it could be a symptom.
    - John