Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News Content from Texts uploads

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I agree - I'm with Daniel on the bigger picture too - changing the extensions to php and then 301 redirecting the html pages to their new php locations is what I'd personally do in your situation.

The html-as-php fix is really just an optional workaround because you seem to have your heart set on keeping the pages as html. Not the *best* solution - just *a* solution (if your server is set up that way)
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

Its not my requirement, but its my clients, and they are hosting on NetworkSolutions. If i move to php, then have to change all my links and page extensions. But I am assuming the NetSol might be having the "AddType application/x-httpd-php .html .htm" in the websites .htaccess.

Thanks

Are you sure that PHP is available on the server? That's the first requirement, before anything else. (Not sure if you've already looked into this.)
    PHP is often available, but isn't on every server (or might be disabled).

The way to test is the following-- create a page called "test.php" with exactly the following in it (only!):
    PHP Code:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    If you don't see anything or get a weird error message, PHP isn't working. If you see a list of PHP features (version number, extra installations, server information, and much more) then PHP is working and that's all the info you'll need to figure anything out about how PHP is setup on this server.

If i move to php, then have to change all my links and page extensions.
    Right. We've all done this once or twice. It's really a good idea and can save you time later. But... up to you.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I have checked the attachments provided by Beverleyh, uploaded on their server, and they were working fine.

We've all done this once or twice.
    What did you meant?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think Dan means having to back-track over your static/coded links and update them all manually

Oh yes I've been there!! Its a good learning curve though and maybe the push to now name your future projects with the php extension so you have more options available as your sites evolve?

Good luck with the news updates.
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |

Thanks

Ok, glad that PHP is working on the server.

Yes, I meant moving from HTML to PHP (in various ways, but including the very long process of renaming all of the ".html" references to ".php" references)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

7. The Following User Says Thank You to djr33 For This Useful Post:

wrathyimp (09-27-2012)

Thanks

Now I will start working on the news and their text files from this Weekend. So will be around posting on this thread for furture queries and suppport, hope you GURUs dont mind.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not at all

a few more of those official thanks credits would sweeten the deal for those giving the help though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beverleyh For This Useful Post:

wrathyimp (09-27-2012)