Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Script?

Thanks

Default Copyright Script?

I have had a look around but did not find the answer.

Please advise if there is such a script that would apply a copyright logo to photos that are uploaded to my web page.
    Should anyone use the right click save as option etc then the downloaded photo would have this copyright on the photo.
    Last edited by theremotedr; 09-13-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would think that would have to be server side. If you have PHP, have you checked these out:

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...rmark+to+image

?

If you're using a different server side language, you could do a similar search on it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

It is not possible to do this only when downloaded.
    If it possible to add a watermark to images when they are displayed on the website and when they are downloaded as well.

The same idea works with using low resolution (small) images rather than full quality ones-- if you never give the visitor a full quality or unwatermarked copy of your image, then they can't still it because it just doesn't exist.

I wasn't sure if you wanted to have the watermark when the image was viewed, or only when downloaded-- that's just not possible, in the same way that it's not possible to stop someone from saving the image in the first place. The solution that can almost always get around any kind of protection is a screen capture, and that would take a picture of the image as it is displayed, without a watermark. So it's either always or never-- your choice.

As for John's link, that's where to start-- PHP is a good option (and most accessible, although there are some alternatives if necessary). I would actually suggest doing them manually on your computer then uploading them like that. It will take a little time, but realistically how many images do you have? Only if you have hundreds (or thousands) of images would I really think it is worth doing it on the website-- it's fairly difficult/technical to set that up, and once you do it will take a significant amount of processing power from the server to run that, especially on large images.

If you do it, make sure you convert it when uploading rather than generating the watermarked image every time when you display it-- that would be slow and waste a lot of processing on the server, and your host might get upset with you for wasting resources (it happens often with PHP+images).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espaŮol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguÍs | catalŗ | un peu de franÁais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    It is not possible to do this only when downloaded.
    more to the point, you can't "view" an image without downloading it first, so there really is no difference in the two situations as far as the web is concerned.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure theremotedr was asking how to put the watermark on the image after it was uploaded and before it was displayed. If so, that's no problem except that for larger images or for a lot of them at once it might be a bit of a load on the server. Doing them more or less one at time on the server as they're uploaded by the users shouldn't be too bad though. If that's the scenario. It would be a nice touch to also save a copy without the watermark, one not to be displayed, but accessible to theremotedr if (s)he would like to have that. That also should be no problem to arrange.

On the other hand, if these are all theremotedr's own images. There are programs you can run on your own computer that can add a watermark to a batch of images very quickly. If that's the scenario and there are a lot of images, if they're all your images, that approach would be better. Just mark 'em and upload 'em. If it's just a few of your images, doing them one at a time locally before uploading wouldn't be too bad either.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

There are programs you can run on your own computer that can add a watermark to a batch of images very quickly.
    Yes. And I (we?) could help if that's the case. Photoshop's actions would allow this, for example, or you could even compile a PHP program into an .exe to do this locally without worrying about server load. It's not the most efficient (fast) way to do it, but as long as your concern isn't the time it takes, that shouldn't matter-- just let it run over night if need be. (But to be honest if you can do it another way you may as well, because modifying images in PHP can be hard to code, in addition to slow/server-intensive.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espaŮol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguÍs | catalŗ | un peu de franÁais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It would be easy enough to just add a watermark to any uploaded photo, see here for a tutorial on that.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

Sounds ok but where do you put all the code.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

this code is for the uploading part of it
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

Hi
    I have installed the script and working pretty much all ok.
    Now and then it will not allow file to be uploaded and the error message is,,,Please browse for a file before clicking the upload button.
    Any reasons why i receive this message with some photos.
    I have tried say 10 photos that give me this message and each time the same.

I also noticed that the script generates 3 images in the uploads folder.
    one original photo
    one resized photo
    one resized photo with watermark

As i only use the photo with the watermark is there a tweak we can apply to the code so only the photo with the watermark is produced ?

Many thanks.