Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: testing equality for the last digit in a string

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default testing equality for the last digit in a string

Hiya guys,
    I just thought I might ask a question, just as a change. My question is, I'm testing to see if the last digit of a string is the same as something else (it is meant to ignore the last digit). My problem is however, if there are numbers the same as the last digit, it will ignore them as well, as they are == to the last digit. My problem therefore, is how am I meant to check if is the last digit, rather than equal to the last digit.
    thankyasall,
    bernie
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

What's your code? You should be able to get the last digit very easily:
    echo $string[strlen($string)-1];
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

At the moment, to get the last digit, I am reversing the string and then getting the first digit, ie the last digit normally. The problem however is digits the same as the last digit being counted as the last digit.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

so,
    Code:
    $rev = strrev($barcode);
    $check = $rev[0];
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,236 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Blog Entries

I read that few a times and I'm still not sure what you're after. Unless it's also always the last character in the string or always a certain distance from the end or beginning of the string, you can use a regular expression to find the last digit character, otherwise a string function would probably be more efficient.. Once it's isolated you can test it against anything you like or just ignore it altogether. That's the part that was the least clear to me.

A regex for last digit would be:

Code:
    /.*(\d)D*$/
    The parenthetical will match the last digit if any in the string. The preg_match function would probably be your best bet to get that match if any.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks, I'll try it, what I am after is something that specifies the actuall last digit, not the number that is the last digit.
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,236 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Blog Entries

I got the re wrong. It should be:

Code:
    /.*(\d)[^\d]*$/
    Example:

Code:
    <?php
    preg_match('/.*(\d)[^\d]*$/', '1234do9c', $array);
    print_r($array);
    ?>
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I'll just repeat what I had above:

What's your code? You should be able to get the last digit very easily:
    That will definitively tell you the end of the string.

If you want to COUNT to the end of the string (eg, how long it is), then you can just use:
    strlen($string); (subtract 1 if using this for an array key because that starts with 0)

Beyond that, I have no idea what you're talking about. Again, post some code, or post some example numbers that aren't working for you.

John, what you're suggesting would probably work, but there's no reason to use regex here-- the basic string functions will be faster. It's just counting then selecting a digit. I can't imagine regex being faster for that.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

so my code at the moment is checking a UPC barcode (which is found to be valid via some maths, and if the outcome of the maths is equal to the last digit then, its valid), and in the equations you have to ignore the last digit, and at the moment, my code doing that is then ignoring any numbers that are the same as the final number (the check number). Here is a snippet of my code:
    Code:
    $oddNums = array();
    $evenNums = array(); 
    $barcode = '123456789999';
    $check = $barcode[strlen($barcode)-1];

for($i = 0; $i <= strlen($barcode); $i++){
    	$focus = $barcode[$i]; 

if(($i == 0 || ($i % 2) == 0) && $focus != $check){ 
    		array_push($oddNums, $focus); 
    	}
    	if(($i == 1 || (($i % 2) != 0)) && $focus != $check){ 
    		array_push($evenNums, $focus);
            }

}
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

Ok. If I'm following:

Last digit:

Everything UNTIL the last digit:
    substr($string,0,-1);

Then do what you want with those.

Also, a slightly prettier (but perhaps not faster) way to do the first (find just the last digit) would be:
    substr($string,-1);