Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no longer accessible

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Keyboard, you can't be an unbiased judge of this because you've seen the old layout. I'm specifically interested in users who've only seen the new layout. (I can't be an unbiased judge either!)
    I never said that I was an un-biased judge. I never even said I am a judge. I'm mearly interested in what everybody else thinks about the new look compared to the old look, and what might be improved.

Thanks

Bernie, that's true, I guess. It hasn't been all that active from what I've seen, but certainly the board is slower some times compared to others. We'll need to see what happens over a month or so to know if it has slowed down overall or not, but there's no question there's still posting going on.

KB, that wasn't a judgment or anything-- I'm just saying we'd need to hear from someone who, unlike us, hasn't seen the old design. If they like this one, then the rest of us will adjust over time even if we don't like it at the moment-- we might just be imagining problems or having trouble with the change.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

It is taking me a little to get used to the fact that when I click on the "+Reply to Thread button that it changes my curser focus to the quick reply text box.I happen to notice it completely by accident or I would have thought it was not working.

I don't think that there has been a big difference as of lately due to the forums new "appearance/upgrade.I have noticed in the recent months times that the posts were down quite a bit but they have appeared to rebounded and become a little bit less then when I joined the forum.

I think at that time,it was often that a second page of "New posts" occuring on a regular basis.( I just noiticed while typing this a yellow flag that said saved breifly showed in the bottom right corner-cool)

I visit here at the forum 10-30 times a day I would guess-someone probally could tell me exactly how many times if they were to look it up-lol

I like it here,I am not too versed on any one thing but I try to help if I can.

I think the post number is not increasing today-I posted at least twice( maybe three times in that last 10-15 minutes and it says the same number.
    Last edited by ajfmrf; 08-25-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add a note
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

Posts in the lounge do not count toward one's post total.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up John
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks

I don't think traffic on the forum as a whole has gone down noticably, but I do think there have been far fewer posts in the DD Scripts Help section than there usually are. There are usually 4-10 threads with new posts when I load it (at least after being gone for a while, or overnight) and now there's often just one, maybe two. This may mean that the forum really is less accessible for users who want help with a script but now can't easily find there way to ask. We'll have to keep an eye on this, but I think it's worth noting.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Traffic ebbs and flows. This time of year things are generally slow I think. Lots of folks are away.

But it might also have to do with the layout.

If so, I think folks will get used to it.

Things seemed to me to be slowing down before the change.

I have noticed a lot less spam since the change.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Good point about the spam.

Sure, we can wait to see if it keeps up.

If so, I think folks will get used to it.
    The regulars, yes. But the situation I was talking about was for one-time users who needed help with a single problem (who of course might become regulars). If they find it confusing now, the others in a month or a year will also find it confusing-- if they're confused I don't think they'd eventually get used to it-- they'd just give up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think first timers will "get used to it" as well. The new layout isn't any more intrinsically confusing than the old was. It's just different from what folks accustomed to vB prior to version 4 are used to. vB is a pervasive forum software. People in general are used to it. This new version is a bit of a departure, but not so much of one that folks won't get accustomed to it sooner or later.

It's kind of like migrating from XP to Vista or Win 7. Just about everyone and their uncle were lost with that one. Now most folks prefer 7 over XP.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 08-26-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    - John