<A HREF="page.html" target="name of frame">do it</A>
    to something like this:
    onload="window.location='page.html';"

how do I do the target in js?

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

It can depend upon what page you are putting this code on but, in many cases, this will do the trick:

HTML Code:
    <body onload="parent.name of frame.location='page.html'">
    or as part of a script:

Code:
    onload=function(){
    parent.name of frame.location='page.html';
    }
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

What about this:

<BUTTON onclick="window.location=search.cat.options[search.cat.selectedIndex].value + search.user.value;">Search</BUTTON>

What would I do if I wanted the target to be _blank?
    Last edited by toe_head2001; 01-09-2006 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's a special case, simulating target="_blank". To do that in javascript one needs to open a new window, a pop up. Generally this is fine for a click event but, some aggressive pop up blockers will even stop that. Be that as it may, here is the code:

Code:
    <input type="button" onclick="window.open(search.cat.options[search.cat.selectedindex].value + search.user.value);" value="Search">
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Generally this is fine for a click event but, some aggressive pop up blockers will even stop that.
    They shouldn't. If a popup blocker blocks window.open() calls contained within an onclick event, said popup blocker is broken.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    They shouldn't. If a popup blocker blocks window.open() calls contained within an onclick event, said popup blocker is broken.
    Not broken, no. Agressive. They (some pop up blockers) can be set to specifically be that aggressive.
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Disabling useful and often necessary functionality initiated (almost certainly knowingly) by the user is, to my way of thinking, destructive behaviour.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I agree with John, though it's rather more fact that than opinion. Both built-in (IE and Opera) and third-party (especially proxy) blockers allow the user to prevent the appearance of all pop-ups.

Disabling useful and often necessary functionality initiated (almost certainly knowingly) by the user is, to my way of thinking, destructive behaviour.
    How so, if the user disabled all pop-ups?

Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Mike. There is always this (and similar, some even more egregious) situation:

HTML Code:
    <a href="http://www.google.com" onclick="window.open('obnoxious_ad.htm');return true;">Google</a>
    I can see why some would, and have been tempted myself at times to, disable all pop ups because of designers who take advantage of this loophole.
    - John