Thread: embed pdf file?

Thanks

Question embed pdf file?

Do you think it is best to currently use the <object tag> to embed a pdf on a web page? or is it better to use scribd ?

I have 4 to embed that are large property plans. I want to be able to embed them so that they can see the plans before the end customer has to download them all.

thanks

Thanks

The best way to do this is to convert them to an image as a preview.

You cannot force a PDF to be embedded in a page. Some browsers will do that, and others won't. (All will allow you to download it, but some will only allow you to download it.)

Using something like scribd will convert it to images for you, so you could do that yourself or use a website like that. The major downside to scribd is that it makes you pay to be able to download any files-- so I'd strongly suggest avoiding that (it looks unprofessional for one thing) except as a preview-- have a download link on your website as well.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Thanks, I have 1 PDF file that is a history of the island for sale too, I can't imagine someone will sit there and read it all online.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Be careful with the usability of PDFs though - it can be really annoying to click on a link and then get a PDF file thrown in your face -- and "ARGH" even more so if its coupled with a reminder to upgrade Acrobat Reader. It totally breaks the user's flow.

PDF is perfect for offering document downloads and user manuals and also great for things that need printing, but it's a terrible substitute for real web pages because the orientation is usually portrait and they don't include navigation for the main website. Embedded PDF could get a bit confusing for unknowing, less techy-minded visitors.

Also, with more users now browsing the web via smart phones, you could be losing some of your audience - for example, BlackBerry currently does not come with a default PDF reader, and there is no freely available PDF reader plug-in/App either.

As a general rule, PDF for distribution, web pages for internet browsing.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beverleyh For This Useful Post:

mlegg (09-20-2012)