Thread: js. file

Thanks

Default js. file

Hello,...
    I can't find how people make js,file in to small script.
    I have problem with big js,file,..because is to long for my HTML,and if I put few more,it make block for my HTML.
    Someone can help me explain what need to do for make small script js.file.
    For exaple like that:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.2/jquery.min.js"></script>

Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

do you mean putting the script externally? You can save a javascript script as it's own kind of document using the .js file extension. Then in the HTML you can put in:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="your/script.js"></script>
    this does the same as putting the javascript internally
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bernie1227 For This Useful Post:

rexi (08-19-2012)

Thanks

Thank you,..Can you explain more how do that?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Use a text editor to save the script, call it 'file_name.js' where 'file_name' can be any valid file name of your choosing. Substitute the name of your external .js file for some.js in the below:

HTML Code:
    <script src="some.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    Common problems arise when:

1 ) The script file is not in the directory specified. In the above example it must be in the same directory as the page(s) that use it. Below, it can be in the scripts directory off of the root of a domain:

HTML Code:
    <script src="http://www.somedomain.com/scripts/some.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    2 ) Opening, closing and/or 'hiding' tags are left in the external file. This means that you must strip:
    Code:
    <script>
    <!--
    and
    Code:
    //-->
    </script>
    and any of their many variations from the beginning and end of the external file.

3 ) The external call (<script src="some.js" type="text/javascript"></script>) is not inserted into the page at the correct spot. The external call must be inserted at the same place on the page where the script was/would have been.

4 ) Paths to other files (if) used by the script are no longer valid due to its location. This is only a problem if the external script is kept in a different directory than the page it was working on when it was an internal script. To correct this, use absolute paths inside the script. Absolute path examples:

Code:
    http://www.somedomain.com/images/button.gif

http://www.somedomain.com/~mysitename/index.html
    5 ) Inappropriately combining two or more scripts into one external file. Usually external scripts can be combined if one knows enough about scripting to do so properly. Even then it is possible to overlook something.

A rule of thumb when testing is, if it won't work on the page, it won't work as an external file either.

One other thing, if this is a DD script or any script that requires the credit remain for legal use, include the credit in the on page call, ex (see usage terms for more info on this, especially item 4 from the terms):

HTML Code:
    <script src="some.js" type="text/javascript">
    /***********************************************
    * IFrame SSI script II-  Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
    * Visit DynamicDrive.com for hundreds of original DHTML scripts
    * This notice must stay intact for legal use
    ***********************************************/
    </script>
    Make sure to retain all the 'decorations', as these include begin and end javascript comment delimiters, without which the script won't function.

There is also info here:

http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/external.shtml
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

rexi (08-19-2012)

Thanks

Thank you John.

Thanks

Hello,..
    Any external js.file which I save on my system not respond.What can be problem?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Look over the list from my previous post and make sure you've followed all the steps and not committed any of the errors pointed out there.

If you're still having problems, upload the script and the page that uses it to the web and give us a link to it so we can diagnose it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

rexi (08-22-2012)

Thanks

Thank You John,.. above followed steps helped me, and now I got solution which I looking more then one year.
    I have just one more question,..it is not important.
    It is possible make external js. file with (div) for example :

<div style="background:#;margin-left:0px;">some text,../ or HTTP//:image,.....;</div>
    Thank You very much.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Do you want a div tag to import a script? (generally not possible, could be an exception via inline style behavior in at least some versions of IE)

Or do you want a script to create a div tag? (doable in a variety of ways)

Or is it something else?
    - John

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

rexi (08-23-2012)

Thanks

That was your first question ( to import a script ),..but you say no possible.No problem about that,..for me is important that you helped about js.file.Once again,..huge thanks.