Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless hardware

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default wireless hardware

hiya guys,
    I have finnaly completed my collection of wireless stuff for my laptop, ie, wireless headphones, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, and I was wondering if there are any other benefits other than being able to control the laptop from a distance (also my spacebars broken, so that was the real reason for the keyboard), so can anyone think of other benefits?
    bernie
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I find that using wireless keyboards/mice is much better as there aren't piles of cables cluttering up my desk.

However, there are several disadvantages:
    The devices use batteries...
    They are more costly than normal devices...
    May not work with all OP's (mine doesn't work on XP)
    Sometimes, the signal can be very dodgey (like right now with my keyboard)

I prefer to use a wireless mouse, but a wired keyboard
    Last edited by keyboard; 08-05-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The devices use batteries...
    my devices all have at least a 2 year garuntee of not having to replace batteries
    They are more costly than normal devices...
    that is to expected with any high quality technology.
    May not work with all OP's (mine doesn't work on XP)
    compatability is perfect for me
    Sometimes, the signal can be very dodgey (like right now with my keyboard)
    mine are designed so that they can't be affected by other signals, and are usually fine to at least 10 metres.
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

All I'm saying is that for the extra money that they cost (the half decent ones) I don't really think that they're worth it (there aren't that many advantages)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well there are a few, like you said, no cords, easy to move your laptop around without having to pull out 100 cords, control it from a distance, none of these you can do with corded hardware
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie

Thanks

When I tried a wireless keyboard a few years ago it couldn't keep up with how fast I type. I haven't used it since. For better control, I prefer wired things.
    And no, there's no benefit beyond lack of wires-- that's why these things exist. It's convenient, yes, as long as you can live with the disadvantages. For me, the nuisance of charging them or replacing the batteries is about as bad as dealing with cables.

Edit: actually, now that I think about it, there is one more advantage. A wireless device can control the computer in a location that you cannot physically run a cable to. This is rare, but one comes to mind: at my university we have a recording studio for linguistic research, and it's not possible to run a cable through the wall of the sound-proof booth. So if I needed to control the computer from outside the room, a wireless device would be nice. (There may be other workarounds, but I can imagine wireless devices being helpful.) Of course in this case you'd also need to have a wireless device with a strong enough signal to go through a wall/window.
    (And I suppose it could be a fun practical joke-- "help, my computer is doing things by itself!", as you control it from another room.)
    I doubt this particular situation is helpful to many people, but it is an advantage if you find yourself in such a situation.

Perhaps this could be true for another situation such as one where you want the computer on-stage in a play-- someone off-stage is controlling it, so you can't run a cable there. Or perhaps it's simply too far away to run a cable-- suspended above the stage controlling the lights.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I love my wireless keyboard and mouse for my desktop-they allow me to have less cluttrer and the ability to sit back and use them on my lap.

I use a wireless mouse for my laptop too and thank god that I don't have to use that silly thing on the laptop(whats it called again?)

ZI am glad they are available,just makes me happy-lol
    Thanks,

Bud

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I never thought there was any point in wireless keyboards, etc., but after I tried it... I'll never go back.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am way too set in my ways. I like wired stuff - heck, I only went down the wireless router, er, route at home about a month ago.

I tried a wireless mouse a few years back and hated it. It was a clunky heavy thing that made my delicate (ha!) lady wrist ache for England. Quickly reverted back to my cheapy wired one and I'm still using it.

I did have the chance to play on one of those light projector keyboard things in a gadget shop once - most amusing
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org

Thanks

most amusing
    These things are highly amusing. But that's about it. For productivity, I'm not interested in other things. On the other hand, I like having a wireless computer-- a laptop. If I didn't, if I just had a desktop, I can imagine wanting to have wireless controllers for it. But for the most part the wireless controllers are redundant with a laptop. In the case of a desktop computer if I intend to sit in front of it, I'm happier with wired things anyway.

There are a few exceptions, such as giving a presentation from a computer, where it is nice to have wireless controls. But those are the rare exceptions, at least for me.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum