Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue with IE only when navigating page

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Actually what it does is show the page in IE 8 or IE 9 standards, depending upon the version of the browser. A real IE 7 and an IE 8 or 9 that the user forces into compatibility mode will still have the problem.

The reason it shows the page in the highest mode available for the IE browser being used is that once you do this:

Code:
    <!--[if IE]>
    It's too late to do this:

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">
    It has no effect, as the IE browser mode is already set once you open an IE specific content block. The other code, the blending transitions may or may not be needed. Probably not.

But, if it works and you're happy with it, go with it. It will not fix IE 7. It will not even fix later IE if the user forces compatibility mode in their later IE browser. This can sometimes be set by default upon IE installation.

About the image, you could probably get away with just the color, I don't think anyone but you notices that line. If it is crucial you can use border and/or HR to substitute for it. Or you could add the color as a fall back for while the image loads:

Code:
    body {
    	background: #193b2a url(images/back1.jpg);
    }
    Which would still be best as the first thing after the title and meta tags.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 07-20-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add detail after testing the new pages
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Looks like it is back....so it didn't work.

Why do you think it doesn't happen when going from Home page to about page?

Thanks

I really like the background image which contains the lines so I want to try to keep it. I saw that the background image was 30wx3000h. Thought this might be causing it so shortened it and it did nothing. The thing I can't figure out is why the home/about page are fine. Both those pages are running javascript and the others arent.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think we may have cross posted and/or I edited my most recent post:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...5&postcount=11

while you were reading it. Refresh it and reread it.

To answer your question, your IE browser is probably in compatibility mode, or is an IE 7 browser. Which version of IE are you using?

If it's IE 7, the problem comes and goes as that browser has problems remembering/loading background images correctly, but sometimes gets it right.

If it's later, you may be inadvertently switching between compatibility mode and standards mode or are in compatibility mode always where the problem will, like in the real IE 7, come and go. A real IE 8 in standards mode may also have this problem. I don't have one to easily test on.

About the javascript, it might actually hold up the rendering of the page long enough for the style to get read.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

Defender90 (07-20-2012)

Thanks

Thanks.....I will see about updating my IE and see what happens.