Thread: Service Mark SM

Thanks

Default Service Mark SM

Trade mark symbol (TM) achieved with &trade; I'm seeking a similar method for portraying service mark symbol (SM). Rummaging through other sites I see two suggestions: &#8480;, and <sup>SM</sup>. I also see suggestions that the former does not work with certain browsers. The latter strikes me as usable, but inelegant. I solicit thoughts in this regard.

A.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 07-15-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Format

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

What you've been told is true.

The entity (&#8480;) only works well in some browsers. IE 8 and less show an empty square. Others may show a ? or other placeholder symbol. Opera renders it, but it's virtually illegible. Chrome and IE 9 are good, Firefox probably is too, depending upon the OS and browser versions. Chrome might have a problem on older systems. I tried pasting in the literal character, same results.

So I guess you're stuck with <sup>SM</sup>, as inelegant as it appears. It can be styled to look a bit more presentable. Like with this in the stylesheet:

Code:
    .servicemark {
    	font: normal 65% sans-serif;
    }
    and this for the markup:

HTML Code:
    <sup class="servicemark">SM</sup>
    Still a bit off in IE 7 and less. You could use conditional styles to tweak that. Or, those browsers are on the decline. Most folks have at least IE 8. It doesn't look horrible in IE 7 and less, so you might just let that slide.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 07-15-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: slightly better style
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

marain (07-15-2012)