Thread: Search functionality

Thanks

Question Search functionality

Hi,

I like to add a search functionality to my page and was wondering what code to use. Here is how the search area for the page looks like:http://www.templatescreme.com/free-w...shion-magazine

I like the search area to maintain its look and feel though.

I want the visitor to be directed to a search results page (similar in look and feel to my page however) when they hit the "Go" button after typing their search query.

I've heard of Google Custom Search but I am not getting anywhere with it.

Will love to hear your advice. Thank you.

Thanks

Google is the best easy option.

Alternatively you could design a system using PHP (or another serverside language) and a database, but this is not easy, and it probably won't be as good as google.

You could compromise and do a basic version of a search if that works, such as dropdowns and so forth rather than full text searching. If it's something like a shoes website, you could do sizes, colors and models. Then that would bring up the inventory. But it won't work if you need to do full text searching.

If you do full text searching it will require creating a copy of your whole website in a database, formatting it so it is searchable and creating an algorithm to search it. I've actually done this (and could link you to an old thread with some code) if that works for you (it's PHP), but you would need to have your whole site in the database.

If you're using a CMS, it might come with searching included (for example, wordpress or joomla). If not, you'll effectively need to make a custom CMS (have all of your text in the database), so you might as well use a CMS unless you know what you're doing to build your own.

In short, a search 'script' is very complicated and will take a lot of work. You should decide if that's worth it for your site. If not, just use google's option and take the time to customize it some. Note that even here on DD we use google's custom search-- it's pretty good and can be integrated well.

I should add: there are probably other similar services out there, but I don't see why they'd be better (or easier) than google. Feel free to look for those, but they'll probably be similar.
    Last edited by djr33; 06-09-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Hello & thanks for the reply.... I like to go with Google Custom Search

Here is the HTML of the search box:

<form method="get" action="#">
    <input name="search" value="Search..." type="text" /> <input class="button" type="submit" name="Search" value="GO" />
    </form>

I am trying to integrate Google Custom Search but to no avail. Will appreciate your help friend. Thank you.
    Last edited by philips; 06-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks

I was able to resolve the issue myself.