Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of images

Thanks

Default Number of images

DD Image w/ description tooltip
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...agetooltip.htm

Is there a restriction on the number of mouseover links that can be created using the ToolTip script. I've got 10 working fine but when I add another link they all stop working!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 3,201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your link to the script was broken, probably because you copied your own finished message and pasted it as a new one. Anyways, most likely you have a syntax error in the messages array, like an unescaped single quote.

Warning: Please include a link to the DD script in question in your post. See this thread for the proper posting format for asking a question.
    PLEASE: Include the URL to your problematic webpage that you want help with.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Broken link. Correct link is here. Could you supply the page on which you've put these ten links?

/EDIT: Heh, John beat me to it.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Thanks for your help, here's the link. The script is working on some of the small highlighted links you will see on the page.

http://www.my2pix.com/#

Thanks

It appears everything is okay when the links point to single digit messages i.e 1,2,3 etc. It will not work once you go past 9. Does anyone know where in the script this can be changed?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's working now on your demo page, did you find the syntax error(s)?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

No I didn't find the errors, it seems to be one particular image that causes the problem. Everytime I try to add it, they all stop working!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, it is probably the syntax of that one image. I'll need to see the entry for it to tell, the entry like this one:

Code:
    messages[0] = new Array('100_3013.jpg','Sweeney on tiptoe!',"#DDECFF");
    that you are trying to use for it.
    - John

Thanks

Thanks for your help John, I've worked it out. The image that was causing me a problem had a hyphen in the caption!
    Do you think the script will handle 30,000 photographs?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's, in actual practice, a new one on me - the hyphen. However, I've often heard how in javascript strings, a hyphen can sometimes be misinterpreted as a minus sign. If that happens and the hyphen is not between two numbers, the script engine will choke on it. You may be able to still use the hyphen, either by escaping it:

Code:
    \-
    or perhaps by using its number entity:

Code:
    -
    As for the number of images, that would be similar to an ordinary page. How many images do you think you can put on an ordinary page before undesirable things start to happen? In actual practice things may be a bit better with this script as the images preload but, if someone goes to use one before it is loaded, it will not be there, the more there are, the longer it will take to load them all.
    - John