Thread: BEST CMS over the internet

Thanks

Default BEST CMS over the internet

Hi,
    I wanted to get some ratings or information on CMS (content management system). I want to do coding on my own, don't want to use some automation help but I do want a CMS so that I could easily manage my site and everything within the site. I should have access to everything in my site, the links once made should have the ability to be recreated or edited.
    I have always heard that WordPress is the best but I want to be sure that I don't choose something which later I want to get rid of. I have no idea what professional people use for their work like FB,google etc.

Thanks

You're saying two conflicting things: you want to do it yourself and you want to use the shortcut of a CMS. There's nothing wrong with a CMS, but it inherently limits what you can do, at least a little bit, while saving you (probably approximately) an equivalent amount of effort.

There are many options and it really depends on what you want to do. WordPress is popular and probably simpler than some of the other systems, more about content than control. Something like Joomla would give you more control of things like adding extra serverside content into it. But there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of options for this, and you can definitely find some reviews online for various ones.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

The only way you can do both (A custom built from the ground up website, and a CMS) is with Umbraco. It's used to host a vast number of top sites including Wired, Microsoft, Peugeot, Heinz, SanDisk, Tesco, and many others, so you can see the options available and the professionalism of the design.

I haven't used Umbraco yet, but it's got some of the best reviews I've seen of any CMS. I'm using Joomla! more than anything atm, which is brilliant for what I need but quite restrictive in it's approach to layout. What attracted me to Umbraco was, because it's layouts are based on Master Pages, you can quite literally stick anything where you want it to go. It does have skins and plugins, modules and extensions, but they're not an essential part of the CMS, which they are in Joomla!

Joomla! would be my other recommendation, because what it lacks in self customisation features, it more than makes up for in the sheer range of plugins, extensions and modules and the vast array of templates available. If you're actually willing to pay real world money on templates and extensions, you can get some pretty spectacular results. But, even for gratis, you can find some awe inspiring layouts and designs. If you do decide to go with Joomla!, have a look at RocketTheme. They are a company that creates commercial and non-commercial extensions and templates for Joomla!, WordPress and other CMS'. They are extremely good at what they produce and their aftercare service is impeccable, even for the gratis extensions and themes, which is all I've used from them so far.

On the other hand, if you wanted to write a site from the ground up, you could add in CMS style features to your own site. Very often, WebDevs will code things as modules, which once written can be added to future sites. Once you've had enough of a portfolio, Web Development becomes a kind of jigsaw puzzle, as you place lots of modules next to each other to form a fully functional website. Modules could be something as simple as a library of Javascript or JQuery functions that make life easier coding the rest of the site, or a login box, a pile of sample data, a template for a new page so you don't have to start off with a blank file all the time and so on. Even with little experience, you can follow tutorials found online to create the effects you want.

It's up to you how you want to do it. Web Development is difficult to master, but it's easy to pick up the basics of. Grab yourself a decent IDE and try some simple web pages for yourself. Try to get something with a design feature as well and validation. Visual Studio Express is good for this because it gives you very good intellisense (it brings up a pop up box telling you the valid commands for the HTML tags / Javascript Code you're using. Other IDE's do use this as well, but I've found VS has some of the simplest to understand. Just focus on the HTML, then when you're confident with how that works and how webpages display the data that they do, then move on to a codebehind language. I would say it best to learn PHP, as this is most widely used. If you teach yourself the basics of Javascript first, this will help you as well. The syntax (the way the code is written) is similar in both. Visual Studio can be used very well to learn Javascript, but not PHP as it is not available in the basic version; you have to install an addon to use PHP in VS.

I hope that helps. There are a lot of CMS options out there. It would be nigh on impossible to give a review of all of them; but there are sites that do that can be found using your favourite search engine.

Thanks

Hi,
    Maybe the best cms for someone is the cms made by himself.
    Try, Drupal. It has lots of plugins you can install and it is easy to manage.