Advanced Search

Thread: Can I upload other people scripts to my hosting

Thanks

Default Can I upload other people scripts to my hosting

Hello,
    I was thinking on combining script files and other stuff I have addthis google adsense FB stuff and more I was thinking of uploading the scripts of Addthis etc to my own hosting.
    So the question is, is it legal to do so?

Thanks

If you have permission to use the files, you probably also have permission to copy the files onto your server for your personal use. Is that the question? Keep credit notices and don't redistribute, and you should be fine. Of course also make sure you have the permission in the first place. For something like google adsense, you may wish to keep it on the google server so it stays updated and they don't accuse you of changing which ads are shown. For the rest, if they are APIs then it is also a good idea to leave it on the original server for technical reasons-- for updates and for security. An API usually must be used on the server the information is coming from, due to cross-domain scripting restrictions.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    If you have permission to use the files, you probably also have permission to copy the files onto your server for your personal use. Is that the question? Keep credit notices and don't redistribute, and you should be fine. Of course also make sure you have the permission in the first place. For something like google adsense, you may wish to keep it on the google server so it stays updated and they don't accuse you of changing which ads are shown. For the rest, if they are APIs then it is also a good idea to leave it on the original server for technical reasons-- for updates and for security. An API usually must be used on the server the information is coming from, due to cross-domain scripting restrictions.
    Well then I think I should leave them as it is, as the remaining ones are api ^^ thanks for your advice.